S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Would you trade up? B9 A4 for S4....

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by will13k7
Thats a revo stage 1. I’ve seen a few videos online where Revo B9s do a much better 0-60 than APR B9s. Also, according to revo, the B9 S4 does 0-60 in 4.9s. Do you think that is correct?
Old 09-23-2018, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dunno, usually all the tunes accross the different tuners get really close to each other, especially after a few updates. all the 0-60, 1/4 mile times, dynos, etc, don't really mean much unless the cars being compared did them same place, same weather and car conditions (upkeep, tires, etc...), same fuel, same time. too many variables.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

If you drive in NYC, you will find the B9 S4/5 to be more annoying than the A4/5. It has a more jerky and laggy transmission/throttle.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Slides
If you drive in NYC, you will find the B9 S4/5 to be more annoying than the A4/5. It has a more jerky and laggy transmission/throttle.
That is a good point. My A4 is smoother than my SQ5 in traffic. But the SQ5 in D is tame. I know there’s a TCU tune for the S cars that apparently smoothens things out. I might give that a try after a while.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I took a local S4 for a drive over the weekend and loved it. I hesitated because I wanted to think on it. And it got snapped up. I was OK with that. But got the call yesterday that the buyer backed out, so I was next up. I guess it was meant to be, so I'm picking it up Saturday.
Just gorgeous in my opinion. Drove it, and I will say that, while the APR tune is nice, the V6 in the S4 beats it from seat of the pants feel. In addition, this car has dynamic steering which I had never touched before, and was great. So option-wise, the car is glicier white, prestige, sport package, carbon fiber spoiler/mirror caps, fine nappa, dynamic steering, 19" wheels, carbon inlays. It's got 10k miles on it. I will be giving up ventilated seats, adaptive cruise, and heated steering wheel from my current car. I think I'm happy with the tradeoff though!

Old 09-26-2018, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Man I don't think Adaptive Cruise is a feature I could ever give up, in 2018 when such features are standard on Toyota Corollas costing 1/4 the price of our S4s now, but congratulations on your decision. It's a great car and a beautiful color combo, and your decision means another Audi hopeful is going to have a very nice A4 on the used market for an insane price.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
Man I don't think Adaptive Cruise is a feature I could ever give up, in 2018 when such features are standard on Toyota Corollas costing 1/4 the price of our S4s now, but congratulations on your decision. It's a great car and a beautiful color combo, and your decision means another Audi hopeful is going to have a very nice A4 on the used market for an insane price.
I thought about that. Long and hard. And in my mind, it was a "must have" for me when I got my current A4. And I love it on the highway. But in bumper to bumper traffic it's not that great. The fact that it shuts off after 3 seconds of stopped traffic and I have to re-engage (even though it's just tapping the stalk) is a bit of a pain. And it doesn't always follow close enough (even when set to dynamic) to function in NYC traffic. In rush hour traffic, it leaves just enough of a gap for another car to squeeze in.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Congratulations. You won’t regret it. And the trade off is fine. I would give up ACC and ventilated seats too. Heated steering well. I can use gloves in winter I guess. I has ACC in my A6 and have it in my A7 and SQ5 and I’ve maybe used it five times in all the cars combined.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by VipinLJ

Thats a revo stage 1. I’ve seen a few videos online where Revo B9s do a much better 0-60 than APR B9s. Also, according to revo, the B9 S4 does 0-60 in 4.9s. Do you think that is correct?
That Revo Video is Fake news! You can see they let the A4 beat it off the line and lagged the S4 to try and sell their A4 tune.

Do you really think installing an exhaust would cut a second of a 0-60 time? If it did, i'm buying it!

I installed the DTUK TCU+ and it smoothed out the Trans completely. I'm just waiting for the Burger tune...anyday now.......
Old 09-26-2018, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by thermobryan
That Revo Video is Fake news! You can see they let the A4 beat it off the line and lagged the S4 to try and sell their A4 tune.

https://youtu.be/UNeqfWOkWFw

Do you really think installing an exhaust would cut a second of a 0-60 time? If it did, i'm buying it!

I installed the DTUK TCU+ and it smoothed out the Trans completely. I'm just waiting for the Burger tune...anyday now.......
Yes. I did notice that the A4 jumped the start. But I also noticed that the S4 didn’t seem to be reeling in the A4. There were a few videos by some dude in some foreign country who had a Revo stage 2 or something and he got 0-60 times below 4s with his A4 (he seems to have removed all his videos now).

In my previous post, I even asked what others thought of the 0-60 4.9s time for the S4, according to Revo.I was sure the S4 would be much faster (and the video you posted shows that a stock S4 is faster).

Irrespective of that, it looks like Revo might have a better tune (if their 0-60 of 4.2-4.3 is true since all APR numbers I’ve seen are in the 4.5-4.6 range). I even spoke to a tuning company in Chicago who sold both APR and Revo tunes about the APR tune (this was before Revo released theirs) and they suggested I wait till Revo gets theirs out and that they’d choose Revo over APR.

Quick Reply: Would you trade up? B9 A4 for S4....