S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

*** White Smoke ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *** White Smoke ?

Alrite guys, I got a bit of a problem. I recently (5/29/04) purchased a 2000 S4 from Keys Audi dealer. The car is CPOd. (6 years or 100k miles which ever first from the original purchase date) it has 2 year left on the CPO and the car has 42,500 miles. Since I have purchased it is has been had nothing but problems. First day the MAF went bad and gave a check engine light. They replace it under warranty. Next they changed a water temp sensor one week later. They have also changed other things like the in dash radio (would not read any CDs), they also fixed minor problems with the alarm (doors would not unlock when car was turned off). All and all it has been a headache. Recently I noticed there is smoke coming out of the tail pipe, it white to me and it smells like burnt oil. It dose not do it all the time and only when the car is initially turned on in the morning is when you see the smoke. It poofs out for a bit and then stops. Dose not happen again if you turn the car off and on again, nor when you floor it. The dealer first though oil was a leaking in to the turbo and then they said it water from the EGR and now they are saying it is normal and that I should take the car and drive it for 700-1k miles and see how it is. I have notices that the smoke is getting less and less as time goes by. I know that sometimes when it is cold some "smoke" will poof out but this does not seen to be the case. The smoke smells like burnt oil. Any ideas, comments, suggestions are welcomed, I don't know if I should raise hell or take the car and see how things turn out in 700-1k miles when I have to go back for them to check the oil again?

Edy
AIM: EdyJun
Old 07-09-2004, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I get the same thing...

If the car is moved a short distance (down the driveway for a washing) shutoff, then restarted. It's a white chalky smelling cloud. I think it's just fuel in the cats. The car has done that for years.
Old 07-09-2004, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Looks like you got all the common issues at once...

sorry to hear. Any siren/tea kettle noise from the turbos?
Old 07-09-2004, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: I get the same thing...

No lack of POWER and NO Sounds. Some one tell me THIS **** isn't normal.
Old 07-09-2004, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Sounds like you bought a gem of an S4.Can't help you, but paragraphs are your friend.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It is not normal
Old 07-09-2004, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: It is not normal

Thank you
Old 07-09-2004, 04:17 PM

Default couple of things....

1st you need to contact audi and give them the vin number and see what type of work was done to the car previous to you. Maybe it had blown turbos and the owner got sick of the car and traded it and there might be oil residue in your exhaust system from the turbo replacement, but that will only be the case if you discover that the turbos were replaced. Second I live in Jacksonville and if you need any help let me know. There is an excellent shop in jacksonville and they will tell you what is up. Is your car silver with a rear spoiler. If it is the one I am thinking it also looked like the car has new rotors and new brake pads.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:39 PM

Default Re: couple of things....

I also live in Jacksonville; what is the name of the shop you recommend?
Old 07-09-2004, 08:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Check the oil level. Could have been overfilled...

Quick Reply: *** White Smoke ?