S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

00 s4 needs best tune for my buck? dont like my apr tune

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 09:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talk to EPL.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wow. This thread is filled with bad information.

I would suggest talking to Vast or EPL.

As previously stated, I have never heard anything about Eurocharged and too would not be willing to offer my engine to experiment with. No disrespect to Eurocharge intended.

Ecu-X is logging software not tuning software. Unless you drive a Subaru.

If you are not experienced in tuning, I would not suggest Eurodyne.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

What about ASP? Have they dropped off the map?
Old 03-02-2011, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default NJ tuning

shops in 08720 in interested in Eurocharged
Old 03-03-2011, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

EPL being smooth IMO and aggresive, i choose talking to EPL.

eBooks and Guides you are looking for | fleetdigital.com
Old 03-06-2011, 08:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Vast or tune it yourself with ECUx for $250.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

I can do a stage I B5 S4 tune $400 if you are in NJ.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

To be honest, I truly love my APR tune. Just got it and it performes very well. Strong as hell with tq and hp. Plus it's more than what GIAC can provide in a stock manner. It's been mentioned in another thread recently.

But there will be those who will argue otherwise, simple because they have no sense of being open minded. You can pick and choose on your own, in the end, it's all a matter of preference. Thats it. For me it was APR for a couple of reasons. Then three weeks later I get news about what stock GIAC Tune actually pumps out on the dyno, it was considerably less than my APR tune. So double whammy for me.

Update:
Forgot to mention, your probably better off tuning it yourself. Plus it's cheaper also. A vag-com cable and that's just about it, some software, and several days of reading. Done. Plus side.. ya get to tune how you want it... oh and you can add launch control also.... Wicked nice.

Enjoy
Chris

Last edited by Chris's S4; 05-06-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi All,

Joined from the UK to reply to this post. I build and map engines, including Motronic in my spare time. I'm an instrumentation engineer by profession.

The three things you can really alter on a std car are the throttle response, boost curve, fuelling and ignition.

Boost is limted by the std turbos. I - and other tuners - can ask your turbos to do anything you want, but you have to decide as there are obvious durability issues.

Throttle response - because Motronic is fly by wire, pedal position is not directly related to throttle plate position. There is a map which specifies the relation. A lot of tuners increase the throttle response, which gives the feeling of the car being faster. What this means is that for example 10% throttle = 25% throttle plate angle. With 4wd this works quite well, but you wouldn't want it for relaxed driving or on a turbo FWD for example.

Ignition - Motronic is very clever at detecting Knock. There is LOT that can be recalibrated here, such as what the ECU determines as knock. It's pretty easy to get to optimum though and the key factor is fuel octane level.

Fuelling. This is an interesting one. Most tuners are **** at this. It's quite simple - you want the car to be around lambda 0.8 as soon as you go full throttle, and then richen if EGT's get too hot. Cruise/light throttle should always maintain lambda 1.

The key here is to get the injector and MAF calibration correct. Values should NOT be scaled. This is a botch, it isn't needed if you calibrate the ECU properly. If you scale anything, you upset hundreds of maps in the ECU. If you need a bigger MAF, use the RS4 item. It supports over 600hp and we have a proper transfer function. Calibrating MAF's is not something a tuning company can do very well, it needs incredibly complex flow calcs/testing.

Rick
Old 05-07-2011, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

oops - 4 things!

Quick Reply: 00 s4 needs best tune for my buck? dont like my apr tune