S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

19mm Neuspeed rear sway bar install on Avant

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 19mm Neuspeed rear sway bar install on Avant

Last Sunday I installed the Neuspeed RSB (thanks Brian) on my Avant. The bar was sold as 22mm, but with crude measuring, I'm confident it's in fact 19mm with the upgraded sub-frame reinforcement brackets.

All went well as you can see by the photos:

But I have a few concerns (yes I searched and spent hours reading every RSB post available):

I lubed the bushings well with marine grease as expected. I noticed that after all was installed, I could shift the bar slightly back n forth in the bushings. The bar has no welded in stops like some of the Neuspeed units I've seen and the ploy bushings don't grab the bar tightly.

Is this because of all the grease I used? Is it supposed to do this? Does your RSB do this?

2nd issue:

After lowering the car back to the ground, I can't even get my pinkie (flat way) to fit between the end-links/uprights and the rear axles. I've been driving it this way for about 3 days w/ one run up/down a twisty back road. I crawled under and could not see that there are any signs of them actually rubbing/damaging anything.

Is this because I'm lowered that I have to be concerned about this clearance? Do stock height PPL have this problem? I know the solution is metal end-links, but I only paid two bills for the bar shipped and I'm not excited about dropping another $47 each on links.

Any comments on this?

I know of another solution that has been tried with success and posted before:

http://www.robsaudiworld.com/neuspeed.htm

This document shows 1/4 inch spacers can be placed behind the bushings to provide more clearance. Scroll down.

So I made up some aluminum spacers today, but have not installed them yet.

Q: Do you think I have enough clearance without them, or have I just not done enough spirited driving yet that I'm detecting a problem?

Anyone else have this RSB kit and how much space do you have between up-links and axles?

Any input appreciated - sorry so long. Thanks! []
Old 05-27-2009, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

What exhaust is on that/for how long. Looks like it is holding up really well. (Sorry I don't have any sway bar info and threadjacked)
Old 05-27-2009, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by complacentsee
What exhaust is on that/for how long. Looks like it is holding up really well. (Sorry I don't have any sway bar info and threadjacked)
Bought it used last winter, but didn't install until about a month ago...needless to say, it's ******* awesome!

link: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259054
Old 01-30-2017, 02:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DIY Video

Awesome post - If anyone is still using this thread, here's a DIY video of the installation of the 034 sway bar and end links!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFUW...ature=youtu.be