S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

2.7t Crank seal leaks after replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.7t Crank seal leaks after replacement.

Hello

Fairly new owner to this vehicle I picked it up a couple months ago. Out of the view i dumped about a half to a quart of oil b psck. Took it to the garage and it seemed to be that the front crank seal blew. Oil 3verywhere all over timing components and a good puddle under the crank gear.
This car is st 202k had tons of maintenance and t belt all gaskets and seals supposedly at 186 and 192k between the two services.

Tore it all down replaced
-OEM Tensioning damper
- OEM Tensioner Roller- OEM Relay Roller- OEM Tensioner Lever Arm- OEM Timing Belt- OEM Behr Thermostat with O-Ring- OEM Serpentine Belt- All Metal Water Pump-Elring front crank seal Valve cover gasket

I didnt reappce cam seals as they sidmt seem like they were leaking.

put it all back together. Looks like a small leak from idling can't really see where from but seems like the crank seal again. Quick drive down the street and oil everywhere again all up on the oil pan and over timing components.

when it blee the first time there was oil everywhere underneath too. My cats look pretty wet also.

Any help or directive what to look for or at as if I do this job again and it fails I'm going to lose my shot haha.

Old 04-07-2018, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by NBB5S4
Hello

Fairly new owner to this vehicle I picked it up a couple months ago. Out of the view i dumped about a half to a quart of oil b psck. Took it to the garage and it seemed to be that the front crank seal blew. Oil 3verywhere all over timing components and a good puddle under the crank gear.
This car is st 202k had tons of maintenance and t belt all gaskets and seals supposedly at 186 and 192k between the two services.

Tore it all down replaced
-OEM Tensioning damper
- OEM Tensioner Roller- OEM Relay Roller- OEM Tensioner Lever Arm- OEM Timing Belt- OEM Behr Thermostat with O-Ring- OEM Serpentine Belt- All Metal Water Pump-Elring front crank seal Valve cover gasket

I didnt reappce cam seals as they sidmt seem like they were leaking.

put it all back together. Looks like a small leak from idling can't really see where from but seems like the crank seal again. Quick drive down the street and oil everywhere again all up on the oil pan and over timing components.

when it blee the first time there was oil everywhere underneath too. My cats look pretty wet also.

Any help or directive what to look for or at as if I do this job again and it fails I'm going to lose my shot haha.

also the valve cover seemed to be leaking pretty bad before replacement and didnt look like.it was taken care of immediately.
Old 04-07-2018, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The spider hose system was pulled out and it looked like it had been replaced recently. Little oil buildup on hose that pulls straight from the block. Also the 2.0fsi coilpack conversion was all done at the same time.

I originally though this whole problem started from crankcase pressure but I'm not too sure anymore. I am going to pull the fron off tomorrow and see what is really going on.

any personal experiences? I've heard horror stories of the crank seal leaking 3x after being replaced.