S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

2001 S4 Problems 124,000

Old 06-20-2014, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2001 S4 Problems 124,000

I am having a couple issues with my 2001 Audi S4

Just replaced the cat convertors and all four O2 sensors.
I am getting the following codes:

P1131 - bank1 sensor1 - internal resistance is too high
P1113 - bank2 sensor1 - internal resistance is too high

what causes these codes? I did not use Bosch sensors but half price ones.
I would think they would work. Code comes on everyday.

When I drive and reach a certain speed the ABS and that rotation lights come on and the car drives funny. I think these two issues are related somehow.

Last edited by LoPoVe; 06-20-2014 at 04:57 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Used the APWI from rockauto I think I am sending these back and going to use the bosch ones. Changed the MAF sensor today.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Put Bosche O2 sensors in the upstream and erased all the codes with my scan tool. I test drove the car for 20 minutes and no codes came back. I hope it was those ****ty O2 sensors that were messing everything up! Will post more in the next couple days.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Now I have codes P1127 and P1129, both banks running rich.

Also car is having big problems starting. It won't start this morning. It starts up and then dies right away.

Anyone know what is causing this?

Last edited by LoPoVe; 07-16-2014 at 06:48 AM.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The secondary O2 sensors are also able to affect the reported AFR. If they are reading incorrectly that might be causing the ECU to run rich.

Possibly try disconnecting the secondary o2 sensors, clear the codes and see what happens. You'll probably throw a cat efficiency fault code, but it might give you another data point for what might be affecting things.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hey thanks for the advice......I am giving up and taking it to the stealership tomorrow......it won't start at all anymore.......$116 for diagnostics.....what a rip off but maybe they will tell me exactly what is wrong....
Old 07-18-2014, 12:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by LoPoVe
Also car is having big problems starting. It won't start this morning. It starts up and then dies right away.

Anyone know what is causing this?
Sounds like classic immobiliser to me - do you have a flashing yellow symbol that looks like a 'key in the back of a car' flashing in the Tacho when it starts and dies?

If so it's the immobiliser.

In 2001 the immobiliser will be incorporated into the dash cluster.
Transponder in the key is energised by a coil in the black plastic ring around the ignition barrel. Only fix for your car I can think of is to unplug and plug-in the coil to ensure it is working correctly. Also, make sure key is fully home in ignition barrel and the housing of the key is as close as possible to the plastic ring around the barrel.
Turn ignition on and wait for yellow key/car symbol in Tacho to disappear before starting.
If your car main battery is a bit suspect, this can affect the immobiliser. I had issues both on my A4 and S8, which were a little bit frustrating until in both cases the battery died a short while later.

(do not confuse the transponder with the remote central locking - completely different things on these cars and is not affected by low batteries in the remote)
Old 07-19-2014, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks I have a new battery in the car....took it to the dealership they said that the spark plugs were fouled and there is carbon buildup in the engine.
The rape has begun $200 to look the car over and $525 to change the spark plugs and clean the carbon, i was told $400 of this is labor....also told I have other issues with the suspension and clutch and tons of DTC failure codes ughhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 07-19-2014, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Good guess no I do not have this flashing light......no battery in the key

Originally Posted by twentysevenlitres
Sounds like classic immobiliser to me - do you have a flashing yellow symbol that looks like a 'key in the back of a car' flashing in the Tacho when it starts and dies?

Transponder in the key is energised by a coil in the black plastic ring around the ignition barrel. Only fix for your car I can think of is to unplug and plug-in the coil to ensure it is working correctly. Also, make sure key is fully home in ignition barrel and the housing of the key is as close as possible to the plastic ring around the barrel.
Turn ignition on and wait for yellow key/car symbol in Tacho to disappear before starting.
If your car main battery is a bit suspect, this can affect the immobiliser. I had issues both on my A4 and S8, which were a little bit frustrating until in both cases the battery died a short while later.

(do not confuse the transponder with the remote central locking - completely different things on these cars and is not affected by low batteries in the remote)
Old 07-21-2014, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by twentysevenlitres

No US model B5 S4 had the immobilizer functional.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 S4 Problems 124,000