S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

40psi FTW . WMS GT power'd S4 1.88 FATS !

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 02:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Simply, I made you a custom set of bi-pipes much larger then my normal ones with meth bungs installed already. Shipping them this week to you.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by complacentsee
Ahaha, don't know why anyone is taking that as an attack. I think this is the only info he has released:

"We thank ASP for their hard work and their friendship and support on this project.

We are using their base GT kit that is avail for $10.900 and our built engine for this project.
We are using 2.7 heads and all S4 plumming that has been ported by us from intake manifold to throttle body.
The short block was completed with rods and pistions to our spec,balanced/blue printed.
The cool charge comes from ER intercoolers with CF shrouds and Vast WMI kit. In the next few weeks we'll tune for WMI and more fine tuning for better results."

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...&highlight=wms

Haha, lots of people on the definsive over a "guess" of race fuel. (educated guess is still a guess) Not to be a Negative Nancy but some times we all just gotta chill out.
Thanks for the info buddy.

It would've taken less breath to say "custom pistons" than it did to tell me to search his old posts for a random spec. I appreciate you're finding it for me though.

Funny thing is if you look at my first post I didn't ask or even mention race gas. My post was asking if thicker headgaskets were used because I was curious about how those thick HG's hold up at way high boost, like this 40 psi. I wasn't even talking about knock lol. (and on a side note, I had already assumed it was race gas because it would be stupid to not use it when trying to tweak a car to the max.)
Old 04-29-2009, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by sascha
No it doesn't. If you're knock limited @ your current CR, that means you're not running the right fuel for the amount of boost you want to run.

There is a difference.
Look at what you quoted from me, I didn't say anything about being knock limited. I simply said CR does greatly affect knock. I'm going to assume that you're not ignorant enough or bullheaded enough to try to contend that CR has no effect on knock. I'm sure that you know as well as I and everyone else that detonation has many factors, such as gas octane rating (knock resistance) like you're saying, as well as compression ratio, AFR, timing, IAT's, and boost. These all affect knock.

To comment on your quote above though, if you're knock limited at your current CR, it could also be seen vice versa as meaning that you're running too much boost for the gas you want to run. Or that you're running too much boost for CR you want to run. Or you're running too much timing for the boost you want to run. However you want to say it, or whatever your goals are personally it doesn't cover up the reality that these all work together and knock is a function of all of these variables.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I want
Old 04-29-2009, 06:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

[QUOTE=jibberjive;23778210]Look at what you quoted from me, I didn't say anything about being knock limited. I simply said CR does greatly affect knock. I'm going to assume that you're not ignorant enough or bullheaded enough to try to contend that CR has no effect on knock. I'm sure that you know as well as I and everyone else that detonation has many factors, such as gas octane rating (knock resistance) like you're saying, as well as compression ratio, AFR, timing, IAT's, and boost. These all affect knock.

This has nothing to do with ignorance. This has to do with tuning methods.

On the other hand YOU were strictly talking about CR greatly effecting knock. And I'm letting you know that this is just simply not true. All things equal, if you're gettting knock at the CR you're running you simply put together the wrong motor/setup for your application (ie. you need to run less boost if you're FI or less compression if you're NA OR run higher octane fuel). Simple as that.

It really isn't rocket science. I've tuned many cars and I know very well what can 'cause' knock like some things you've mentioned. CR simply isn't one of them.

To comment on your quote above though, if you're knock limited at your current CR, it could also be seen vice versa as meaning that you're running too much boost for the gas you want to run.

Or that you're running too much boost for CR you want to run. Or you're running too much timing for the boost you want to run. However you want to say it, or whatever your goals are personally it doesn't cover up the reality that these all work together and knock is a function of all of these variables.
You're just not getting it. Unless you have no idea what you're doing, you just don't build a car 'blind' and try to run a 15:1 motor on 87, or build a 11:1 20 psi motor on 94, or whatever you're trying to prove.

Fact is, you choose a CR for your application. Not the other way around.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

and whoever designed this forum so that you can't edit your own posts, they should be shot.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You can edit. Just have to request it. The notice doesn't always show at the top of the forum page like it is supposed to.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2748703
Old 04-29-2009, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by sascha
Originally Posted by jibberjive
Look at what you quoted from me, I didn't say anything about being knock limited. I simply said CR does greatly affect knock. I'm going to assume that you're not ignorant enough or bullheaded enough to try to contend that CR has no effect on knock. I'm sure that you know as well as I and everyone else that detonation has many factors, such as gas octane rating (knock resistance) like you're saying, as well as compression ratio, AFR, timing, IAT's, and boost. These all affect knock.
This has nothing to do with ignorance. This has to do with tuning methods.

On the other hand YOU were strictly talking about CR greatly effecting knock. And I'm letting you know that this is just simply not true. All things equal, if you're gettting knock at the CR you're running you simply put together the wrong motor/setup for your application (ie. you need to run less boost if you're FI or less compression if you're NA OR run higher octane fuel). Simple as that.

It really isn't rocket science. I've tuned many cars and I know very well what can 'cause' knock like some things you've mentioned. CR simply isn't one of them.

You're just not getting it. Unless you have no idea what you're doing, you just don't build a car 'blind' and try to run a 15:1 motor on 87, or build a 11:1 20 psi motor on 94, or whatever you're trying to prove.

Fact is, you choose a CR for your application. Not the other way around.
Dude, you're arguing with yourself. We're talking about two different things. You keep trying to talk about tuning methods and proper setup for specific applications. I'm not. Yet you keep trying to refute what I'm saying with how you would choose to tune a car. I'm talking about simple physics, APPLICATION INDEPENDENT. Compression ratio does have an affect an engines tendency to knock. You even alluded to that in your post when you said that you don't just go into a build and run 15:1 just for the fun of it. If what you said a few posts back (I said, "Compression ratio does greatly affect knock." Which you quoted and replied, "No it doesn't.") were to be true, then why wouldn't you run a high compression ratio with tons of boost and crappy gas? Well the answer to that is because it would knock because the compression ratio does indeed have an affect on that.

Simply put, if you setup a running engine that didn't knock, kept every single one of the other variables the exact same and only adjusted the CR higher and higher, eventually it would knock. I know wikipedia isn't the end all, but just to show that you're the only one who tries to say CR isn't a factor in an engine's tendency to knock, here's a wikipedia article. Look about halfway through the 2nd paragraph under the "Abnormal detonation" heading.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_knocking

Not hard to understand what I'm saying, and it really should've been just left at that first single sentence where I said, "CR does affect knock," because it's true.

If you catch yourself trying to reply to this post with something application/tuning specific such as, " But if it knocks at your CR then you chose the wrong (add your own word here)," then stop yourself and reread what I wrote, cause I'm not talking about proper methods of tuning nor any specific setup.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

ghay ... all you bickering tools..
let's talk crap about simpply's 40 lbs of boost on GT28s :-P

dude .. lets race !!

anyone side bets ? (continue the ghayness
Old 04-29-2009, 10:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ari-TwinT3
ghay ... all you bickering tools..
let's talk crap about simpply's 40 lbs of boost on GT28s :-P

dude .. lets race !!

anyone side bets ? (continue the ghayness
ghayness temporarily on hold while we wait for videos of your beast How long has you car actually been running now?

Quick Reply: 40psi FTW . WMS GT power'd S4 1.88 FATS !