S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

ABS light on, brake light flashing, ESP light on - FIXED!!! - So, I've seen.........(long, sorry)

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 05:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the connector that go to the rear door?
Old 12-15-2013, 05:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dtykthqing
the connector that go to the rear door?
Old 12-18-2013, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by FrankS
pillar. I had an intermitant tail brake light failure and after checking fuses, bulbs and connections at the front and back of the car I took it in to Audi service. The tech found the connector in the driverside B-pillar wasslightly seperated causing the the intermitant failure.

This may or may not apply to your situation but I thought I'd offer it out there for the braintrust to consider.
hi im sorry its a while you posted this but im having an intermitent brake light failure with abs and esp light on. you said b pillar connector was loose where was it by? the connector that go to the rear door? please i will greatly appreciate it if you could help me out.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Problem fixed for One Euro

A4 2004, 1.9 TDI - Wanted to give back to the forum as it saved me 600 EUR!
Add both ESP and ABS warning light on and brake lights flashing. Initially the fault appear on the dashboard intermittently. A few days later the fault was displaying all the time. Brakes were woking fine though. When to the garage. They put the car on the computer and the diagnostic was: Faulty ABS pump.
600 EUR to recondition it. 1600 EUR for a new part from Audi. The garage in passing indicated that one of my rear brake light was not working...
Despite the advice of the garage not to drive the car as it wasn't safe (what else can they say, I would do the same) I decided to not leave the car at the garage and went home.
I proceeding with replacing brake bulb when I noticed (luckily) that the insulation on one of wire was slightly worn out and core was visible. I taped the damaged cable area. And guess what! the fault on the dashboard disappeared.
So much to say for these diagnostic tools...
Old 11-04-2016, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default A little more info if you please....

Originally Posted by Philippe Barbotin
A4 2004, 1.9 TDI - Wanted to give back to the forum as it saved me 600 EUR!
Add both ESP and ABS warning light on and brake lights flashing. Initially the fault appear on the dashboard intermittently. A few days later the fault was displaying all the time. Brakes were woking fine though. When to the garage. They put the car on the computer and the diagnostic was: Faulty ABS pump.
600 EUR to recondition it. 1600 EUR for a new part from Audi. The garage in passing indicated that one of my rear brake light was not working...
Despite the advice of the garage not to drive the car as it wasn't safe (what else can they say, I would do the same) I decided to not leave the car at the garage and went home.
I proceeding with replacing brake bulb when I noticed (luckily) that the insulation on one of wire was slightly worn out and core was visible. I taped the damaged cable area. And guess what! the fault on the dashboard disappeared.
So much to say for these diagnostic tools...

I have the exact same problem on my 02 B6 3.0.

Could you be a little more specific on where the wire you taped is located.....is it on the connector to the break light? Or somewhere else....??????

I had the "break light out" warning....didn't drive the car for a weeks or so....drove the car a few miles, parked, then returned after about 2 hours. Started the car and got the same break light warning, the the ABS, ESP lights went on and three beeps...

Some have indicated it may be a bad break light controller switch located under the break peddle.....but I'd like to check for the corroded or broken wire you are talking about before replacing the break light switch.....

Thanks!