AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-rs4-b5-platform-discussion-6/)
-   -   Air in Hydraulic Clutch System??? 2001 B5 S4 (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-rs4-b5-platform-discussion-6/air-hydraulic-clutch-system-2001-b5-s4-2768024/)

BurtonJJW 11-18-2009 02:47 PM

Air in Hydraulic Clutch System??? 2001 B5 S4

My master cylindar went, had it replaced, the new (8,000mi) slave blew while in the shop, both were replaced & new. They blead the system. The clutch only came up about 1/2 way when I picked up my car, they pumped it a few times and it went to its normal position.

I know that this is a result of air in the system. They said that the issue should resolve it's self. I am inquiring if the Hydraulic Clutch System in the B5 S4s are a open system (one that allows trapped air to escape) or a closed system (one that requires the system to be blead properly to resolve this problem)

Your insight is greatly appriciated.

Side note... Any insight to what caused my relatively new slave cylindar to die after they installed a new master?

BurtonJJW 11-18-2009 03:56 PM

I also noticed that the car shutters when slowly letting off the clutch from a stop in 1st without applying the gas. Is this sympthom also a resulting from air in the system?

There is also a similar shutter to a much lesser extent while applying light acceloration (just enough to stay at a constant speed) at highway crusing speeds. When I push in the clutch and coast the shuttering stops. Is this also occuring from trapped air in the clutch system?

Once again, many thanks to all.

bingS4 11-18-2009 04:29 PM

Take it back and tell them to fix it! That's not something that will "work itself out".

BurtonJJW 11-18-2009 07:18 PM

Thank you, I will call tomorrow and book an appointment.

I had my car towed to the best shop within 3 miles (AAAs basic coverage plan) when my master cylindar went. That said, they know a bunch about mustangs and American cars but have limited experience with audis. Is there a special technique/trick to blessing the system; or special tools that are "need to have" opposed to "nice to have" to get the job done right?

Finally, any idea if the shuttering (mentioned in my second post) out of 1st & under light acceloration at highway crusing speeds is related to air in the system?

Thank you all!

BurtonJJW 11-18-2009 07:20 PM

Spelling error... Bleeding the system, not blessing

complacentsee 11-18-2009 07:46 PM

Well, either way really.

bingS4 11-19-2009 03:50 PM

Sorry, don't really know about the shuddering/chattering. Usually when I hear chattering I think bad clutch or flywheel or bad pressure plate. The only time I've had chattering, someone had "borrowed" my car without me knowing it and finished off the clutch with some bad technique. If you didn't have trouble before, then it's probably related to the issues you had with the master cylinder and the repair that followed. If you can find a shop that can bleed it all properly, then they'll probably be able to diagnose the related issues. Good luck.