S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Another big thanks to Tony and Dave @ EPL. I got my car retuned yesterday after a year of modding

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Another big thanks to Tony and Dave @ EPL. I got my car retuned yesterday after a year of modding

and the car rips again. I was running pretty rich after replacing my dying stock fuel pump with a Bosch 044 and my boost was out of wack after replacing my RS4 IC's with ER's (which have a lot less pressure drop). So Tony got me in and spent a better part of the day dyno tuning the car.

Even though my A/F was off and my boost wasn't were it was suppose to be, the car was still pretty fast. But after the retune... holy sh*t. Night and day difference. Noticably faster and more importantly, MUCH smoother. Unfortunatly Tony's laptop was acting up and Dave's laptop decided to erase its registry that morning, so we couldn't get any street logs. But I'll have some in a few weeks, along with dyno day dyno numbers.

As far as the ER's go, it doesn't look like gained any additional hp from them. I was dynoing around 410 whp (best was 418 or so)yesterday, and when I was initially tuned a year ago my best was 427 whp. A difference of 15-20whp between dyno days isn't anything major. But again, I didn't see much of a noticable hp change. (far from a scientific conclusion though)

The IAT deltas are amazing though. I was seeing ~15 deltas on the dyno, whereas with my RS4 IC's I was seeing 40-50 degree deltas on the street. Not to mention back to back dyno pulls (with no cool down) resulted in a 1 hp difference. Meaning you can't heatsoak these things. Pretty cool :-) Again, I'll get some logs and dyno day numbers in the next couple of weeks.

But I have to say, I'm really freakin happy with the way the car is running right now. Now I just need to get my suspension dialed in and find this damn clunking.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

nice work.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow so if anything it looks like you actually lost a little power going from the RS4 to the ER ICs?
Old 11-18-2007, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Going straight from the numbers, yes, but it's very tough to say since the dyno sessions

were done over a year appart. And 15-20whp differences between days is really small and pretty normal. Not to mention I was being retuned, so nothing was really kept the same between the two dyno days.

Going by the pressure drop and IAT's I should have gained, but again it's almost impossible to say for sure without back to back dyno numbers. So to me (and what Tony also said), it doesn't seem like a gained any horsepower from the ER's. But from an IAT and heatsoak standpoint they are pretty impressive.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:17 PM

Default But if you use the WCF (With Correction Factor) and it's from the same dyno, shouldn't the

comparison be semi-accurate? The CF should automatically correct both runs for the differing conditions.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:25 PM

Default Doesn't the ECU also apply a correction factor as well? lower temperatures, lower boost?

Kinda giving a double hit if you dyno at lower temperatures and apply the dyno correction factor. Probably best to have logs of the two dyno sessions to see if any critical operating parameters were different.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:32 PM
Former Vendor

Default We're talking aprox 2% difference between the orginal tune and the retune.....

On a 400 whp turbo car, I would call 2% a VERY acceptable variation in power.

Keep in mind this was on 2 different days a year apart.

Ha.. 2% difference a year apart, I would actually call that amazing repeatability.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default We are still talking peak numbers here, which will vary regardless of WFC

The dyno charts I saw yesterday looked exactly like the one I got when I was tuned. It's really too small of a difference in peak numbers to draw any conclusion IMO. Unless I did a back to back comparison where the car was dynoed on the same day and keeping everything else equal. But even then the rest of the graph would tell the whole story, not just the peak numbers.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

dyno charts please!!
Old 11-18-2007, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default no scanner unfortunately :-( I'll be at the EPL dyno day on the 8th so I'll get some then

Plus I didn't get any print outs yesterday since it was just a tuning day. The only chart I have is from my initial tune.

I should have ECUx logs sometime between now and then as well. Either the next time I go down to EPL or when I can con Mark P into bringing his laptop along, next time we hit up the sports bar haha.

Quick Reply: Another big thanks to Tony and Dave @ EPL. I got my car retuned yesterday after a year of modding