S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Any other 2000 (A-Box) owners have an X-Chip they feel is smooth as butter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any other 2000 (A-Box) owners have an X-Chip they feel is smooth as butter?

If you STFA, almost all of the posts on here describe the GIAC X-Chip as being rough, undrivable, erradic, and unrefined. I have a 2000 6-speed (A-Box) S4, and I've been running the X-chip for a few weeks now. It seems super smooth to me. I've noticed none of the common problems listed on here (throttle cut, boost spikes, etc). It feels fast as hell, and the boost kicks in strong, but it still feels very smooth, predictable, and extremely drivable. In fact, normal driving around town with the chip feels like stock, its only when I get on the gas that the chip is noticable. Is this just me, or do only the negetive experiences with this chip get posted?

I should add that the chip is my only performance mod, and I have not installed a MBC, TCD, or any other tweaks.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Mines been fine for a loooong time :-)
Old 03-31-2005, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I couldn't feel it overboosting/surging, but the boost gauge told me.

Do you have a boost gauge? It wasn't really noticable at all to me from a drivability standpoint, I just didn't like the oscillating boost spikes I was seeing.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I've had the X for almost two years. It's smooth and no problems at all..

I'm a '01.5 M box and I've got a lot of other mods too. But it's still all good.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:44 PM

Default I think in another post you said you couldn't wait until your...

turbos went. I would say if you like the X keep it, dont put a MBC on and maybe you will meet the turbo lady sooner than later!

Also opinions are just opinions, find someone in your area with other chips and try them out!
Old 03-31-2005, 05:50 PM

Default cant speak much for A-box, but heres my experience with M box

I've had the X-chip for about a month now. In the beginning I was having alot of problems with throttle cut, mostly in 3rd. I still havent gotten my boost guage from AWE but I'm certain I'm spiking as well. Dont take it the wrong way though, I love the chip. The xchip combined with a little better driving skill took me from a 14.4 on an eigth tank of 94 octane stock, to a 13.4 on more than a half a tank of 93. The chip is smooth and predictable in the sense that I know just how much I have to give it to get a desired result, however rolling on the throttle especially in first can give a slight hesitation, almost like it wants to build boost but your not giving it enough throttle. You get used to it though and I can drive the car perfectly smoothly, but I would not agree that it feels like stock when just cruising around town. Even out of boost the car feels alot stronger. Now a month or so later I dont really experience the throttle cut but then again the temps have also gotten alot warmer.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:50 PM
Elder Member

Default STFU n00b

haha. you are definetly spiking...all cars spike.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:12 PM

Default Do Your Wallet & Turbos A Favor..Buy A Boost Gauge And A Manual Boost Controller..Run The MBC In

parallel with the N75. If you really want POWAH..purchase AWE or RS4 ICs and get rid of the stock exhaust and buy the AWE TWIN2 or equivalent aftermkt exhaust system. You think Your A$$ is moving now...holla at the board after u get to stage 2+...stage 3-.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:24 PM

Default Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't exhausts only been shown to add between 3-5hp over stock?

I know I've seen atleast more than one post with dynos showing this to be true.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Might me, but much more when you add dp's. Biggest reason for just exhaust

is to get rid of that annoying sandblaster sound.

Quick Reply: Any other 2000 (A-Box) owners have an X-Chip they feel is smooth as butter?