S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Any travel destination suggestions? I'm going to Munich and Salzburg for a week.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2001, 08:50 PM
rvw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any travel destination suggestions? I'm going to Munich and Salzburg for a week.
Old 05-13-2001, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default autobahn and two lane from munich to neuschweinstein castle(sp incorrect I know)...

is awesome, just MAKE SURE YOU HAVE VERY CLEAR DIRECTIONS! Me and my travel companion (ex-gf) got lost and ended up in Austria, ZOIKS! We got to the castle just as it closed, but it was absolutely breathtaking country vistas, and the autobahn was sweeeet! She went to sleep and didn't help with directions, so I was soooo frustrated for about three hours finding my way. Being lost in Munich/Germany in general is absolutely mind-bending. Get a good map, or better yet, get a nav system with your rental!
Old 05-13-2001, 10:08 PM
rvw

thanks, anyone know if it's worth it to take the side trip to Ingolstadt?
Old 05-13-2001, 10:42 PM
Stätus Josh

Default You must go to the Hofbrau haus!!!

Oh, and a GREAT day trip from munich is to get up early and take a train to Stuttgart (2 hours) and check out the Porsche and Benzo Factories/museums! Have fun!
Old 05-13-2001, 10:52 PM
rvw

any idea where I could get info on these places?
Old 05-13-2001, 11:12 PM
Stätus Josh

Default Re: any idea where I could get info on these places?

Hofbrau house is just a great place to go drink beer. It is in downtown munich. Just ask anyone who speaks english, it is a landmark of sorts.

Stuttgart is the town where porsches and mercedes are made. It is a two hour (northwest) train ride from Munich.
Old 05-14-2001, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Stuttgart is a super nice town...

and the Porsche and Benz museums are really cool. We were taken around town by one of the German marketing guys whom my travel companion knew b/c his son had been an exchange student or something for a brief time at our high school. Anyhow, it was nice to get an inside look at the city.
The M-B campus is absolutely gorgeous, very manicured, the museum is first rate. Mika's 1998 car was there when I visited in summer 1999- very cool! The Porsche museum is small, one room, approx. 25x100 feet, like a big garage really. It has cool stuff, but I could only spend about 1.5 hours there. I spent most of my time there checking out the parking lot and the stuff around the corner. Hehehe, snooping around I guess is what you'd call it! Across the parking lot from the museum is part of the assembly plant, I think for engines, and it's super cool, although you can't see very much. If you take a left out of the gate and go up the road and around the corner to your left, up a hill, you'll find where they line up all the completed cars to make ready for truck shipment. This is also very cool. I'll try to post my pics sometime soon... Geez, can I go with you?!?!?!
Old 05-14-2001, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default try here...

<ul><li><a href="http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/mgresults.cfm?destination=stuttgart@266">Fodor's Stuttgart Tourist link</a></li></ul>
Old 05-14-2001, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default INGOLSTAD The Audi museum is a must.

If you want directions email me.. Also I think I have a map to the Hofbrau Haus, so I can get you there as well..
Old 05-14-2001, 06:08 AM

Default Might be blasphemy, but....

I am going to Munich in August, and there's a really nice BMW race museum in Munich that apparently is worth checking out. The friend I am going with is a big bimmer head (M3 and M5) but I am sure that I will appreciate it!

Robert

Quick Reply: Any travel destination suggestions? I'm going to Munich and Salzburg for a week.