S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Radio displays "phone"

Old 08-09-2009, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio displays "phone"

I honestly searched everywhere before i created this thread. but here is my problem... I by accidentally spilled some water onto my radio (first and last time). Soon after the radio started bugging out, so i turned off everything as well as the car. Waited for a good amount of time while drying as much as possible. Then my friend who also has an s4, decided to start pushing buttons, I'm not sure if that triggered anything.

At the end of the day when I turned on the radio and it turned on, the lights of the radio lit up as well, but the radio was displaying "phone" and whatever i pressed didn't work, seemed to me as everything was disabled due to the phone mode. I have no knowledge about this mode, and to clear things up, I do not have a phone hook up.

I was thinking about resetting the radio, but id have to wait a few days for my buddy to get back to me who works at audi to help me out with retrieving my code.

I'm always up for suggestions, and hopefully this can be helpful to others who also make idiotic mistakes such as myself, .
Old 08-10-2009, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

I guess no one experienced this issue, or has no wisdom to share...

I have an appointment tomorrow with a good friend of mine who works for audi of burlington, and we'll see how he approaches this problem.

I'll post back here, if people even care to know what caused this problem, why it did, and how we went about fixing it. Seems like a minor problem but a good fyi for all I suppose.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

A new factory radio is only $28.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

No sorry - no xp with this problem...I know these cars came with a phone option that lets you use the stereo for hands free talk. Maybe your friend just inadvertently mashed on the right sequence of buttons to switch to phone mode. IIRC there is a section in the owners manual about the phone system - have you looked there yet?
Old 08-12-2009, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the response guys. I'll check the owners manual, but when I sent my car to the dealership yesterday, my friend tech looked at it and told me that I had to replace the radio, and my core was good. My friend wen to the parts guy and mentioned that I was his "cousin" and was wondering how much the radio would be, and he told us that it would cost $36.

Honestly, I can care less now, because when I bought the car 2 months ago, I never had the radio code anyways, and im sure audi will expect me to pay over $100 just to get the code. So i told my friend if we do change radio's today, I'd like for him to give me the radio code for the new radio.

Bottom line, try not to use the front cup holder, unless your ultra certain that there will be no spilling of liquids onto your radio. I guess i got lucky, and my core wasn't harmed.

Thanks for everyones help.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

You had a short in the radio, I wired up my parrot blue tooth to the stock radio and was able to use the mute/phone input on the radio. Since you got a new radio not like this is useful but just a FYI.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Teler, I believe your correct. My good friend at the audi dealership just asked for my keys, and his tech took care of the issue by replacing the radio, while the core was still operational. From what I remember the core charge was a ridiculous amount of money.

My radio, finally works, and what i also noticed is that the fm/am frequency reception is much better than my previous one...but that might of been able to be adjusted, im not sure though.