S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Anyone else have problems with the ABS not releasing on snow/ice?

Old 01-20-2000, 04:32 AM
TJW

Default Anyone else have problems with the ABS not releasing on snow/ice?

I've had it occur about 6 times in the last 2 days.
We got 8" of snow over the last day or so, & these Bridgestone tires SUCK on snow.
When I try to slow the car down on a slick spot, the ABS kicks in... but doesn't let go when I get off the brake.
So the car continues to try to slow down & starts to slide sideways.
Anyone else, any ideas?
I'm having my local dealer look at it next Tuesday.
Old 01-20-2000, 04:38 AM
Mark P

Where are you? If you're getting 8" of snow, you shouldn't be on summer tires
Old 01-20-2000, 04:57 AM
David

Yes! Similar experience in 2" snow, slow to release, why?
Old 01-20-2000, 05:39 AM
Tired of idiots complaining about tires.

Default OF COURSE THE TIRES SUCK IN SNOW. THEY ARE ULTRA HIGH PERFORMACE TIRES!

They were not designed to go in snow. It says so in almost all the Audi literature. Get some snow tires and discover the beauty of Quattro!
Old 01-20-2000, 05:54 AM
Get a clue,stop complaining about the complaine

The tires are not ultra high performance, I would bet they are barly high performance..DUH!!!
Old 01-20-2000, 06:39 AM
I'm tired, too

"Y" rated for 189 mph, NOT your idea of high performance???
Old 01-20-2000, 06:45 AM
Have a clue

Default Not trying to stir the pot here but

the Tire Rack website categorizes summer tires into 4 categories Maximum Performance, Ultra High Performance, High Performance, and Competition.
All the Bridgestone Potenzas are in the Ultra High Performance category. The Pole Positions are in the Maximum category. I am not a champion of the stock tires. I'm sure there are better ones out there and that is a matter of personal opinion. If you think they suck, then buy something else. But to complain that they suck in snow or as one post a few days ago said the S4 has horrendous handling is not justified. Any person with half a clue or with any real snow experience would realize that the Potenzas were not designed for snow. Whether you like them or hate them or think their performance isn't fit for a Yugo doesn't matter. They are categorized by a reputable company as Ultra High Performance tires and they probably know more about tires and ratings than you or I. Here is the point: the stock tires are not meant for snow use. If you are going to drive in snow, quit complaining and get tires for that purpose. If you think that the stock ones suck for summer use, get rid of them and buy whatever you think serves your needs.
Old 01-20-2000, 07:07 AM
Ben Broder

Default That wasn't the point of his post

The point of his post was to ask about aberrant behavior he observed with the ABS brakes. Clearly, an ABS fault (or design) that continues to apply the brakes after the driver has released the pedal raises serious concerns about vehicle control and safety. Actually, while the stock tires may be dangerous to drive on snow, they are probably better for diagnosing, testing and rectifying ABS problems because they can be made to lock up at much slower vehicle speeds.
Old 01-20-2000, 08:34 AM
TireGuy

The stock tires (RE040) ARE in Tire Rack's Ultra High Performance All-Season Category...
Old 01-20-2000, 09:13 AM
Mike S

This guy slams original posters, give him a

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone else have problems with the ABS not releasing on snow/ice?