S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Anyone know how to remove the Tiptronic shift knob?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know how to remove the Tiptronic shift ****?

i pulled down the metal tube that is below the shift ****. I pryed down the ring that should hold the shift **** in place. but yet i'm still not able to pull it out, it seems stuck. anyone change their stock shift **** before? and know how to remove it? any help would be appreciated, thank you.
Old 02-05-2005, 04:22 PM

nevermind, i answered my own question. I used the "close your eyes, and pull as hard as u can" techn
Old 02-05-2005, 04:29 PM

Works great on a saturday night.....
Old 02-05-2005, 05:20 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It's wierd too, how the best angle you can get to pull on that ****.......

is with your head directly over it. ;-P
Old 02-05-2005, 06:19 PM

ZING!
Old 02-05-2005, 06:22 PM

You need to pull the silver *** out and wiggle handle while in 3rd gear i believe
Old 02-05-2005, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Stop! Don't do the "close eyes and pull as hard as you can" method. I found a better way...

I was fiddling with this issue all afternoon after I managed to break the plastic pull-up thingamajiggy last weekend. See my previous post at the end of this message.

My wife's '98 Passat has the old style tiptronic shifter internals (yes, there's a difference in design compared to newer B5 Passats). Anyway, the older versions will not allow you to simply pull up and disengage the plastic pull up lever (broken item pictured in last week's post); this part is a straight metal pin which does not hinge when you pull the chrome button out as isntructed by Bentley. The newer style tiptronic shifter has a lever/hinge design that will work if you pull the chrome button, twist and pull up the way Bentley advises. How do I know this, I spent a good two hours today trying to reattach the **** after I broke it last week. The tiptronic **** that I replaced happens to be the newer version.

A better way to remove the tiptronic shifter, regardless if it is the newer or older model is to pop off the chrome selector button and slide the actual internal mechanism out away from the ****. Use a small flat-head screw driver and come at the chrome piece from underneat. Give it a good wedge and pull at the same time and it should pop right out. When you do this, you will see that the underlying chassis is attached to the **** by a small spring that enables selector button to slide in and out of the **** horizontally. Unclip the spring and the chassis will slide right out of the ****. Again, use the screw driver to help you pop the chassis out.

NOTE: if your tiptronic **** is the older "non hinging" version, the chassis will have a long metal pin that has a slight "s" shape to it; This piece extends the entire length of the **** laterally so that no matter how hard you pull up on the ****, it will not disengage from the shifter stem and will cause you to break the plastic pull-up piece like I did. If you have the newer version, there is no pin attached to the chassis. Instead, the pin is fused within the internals of the **** and the chassis simply act like a plunger to enable the interal pin to pivot and tilt enough for you to remove the ****.

Again, if you have the old tiptronic shifter model (I'm guessing MY2000 S4s)you wil break the plastic piece for sure! If you have the newer version, you might still damage pull up piece if you twist too hard while pulling up.

Do it the way that I've described above and you will be able to remove and reinstall the **** very easily. Sorry I don't have any pictures, but feel free to contact me if you need further assistance. I wil try to post photos tomorrow.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/1892754.phtml">Link to previous post.</a></li></ul>