S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

anyone ship a car before? who'd ya use? any suggestions? advice? tips?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone ship a car before? who'd ya use? any suggestions? advice? tips?
Old 12-29-2004, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Shipped a car form Boston to Western Pa......

I don't remember the name of the Company, but I can offer some general advice.

At first I picked the cheapo rate, which basically means that there was no guaranteed pick up date or delivery date, but "should be delivered in a couple weeks. I wasn't in a rush so that was fine with me. Well 3 weeks passed and no car or any estimate of when I'd get it. Any refund of my money would be minus a hefty fee. I had to "upgrade" the level of service for another $100-150. The car was delivered within 1 week of my "upgrade." Basically, a bait and switch move.

I would stay away from any cheap price unless there is a gaurantee of delivery. Otherwise you may be out of luck. You can save some money by having the car shipped to a company's terminal and pick it up there instead of having it delivered to your door.

Good luck
Old 12-29-2004, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default seattle to boston...

... as part of a big move for work. if you have the 'big rig' moving your stuff, you can, ahem, talk the driver into taking your car. That's what I did. Car rode IN the truck, nice and happy.

Friends used some generic car carrier company (I'll get the name and post it later), and it showed up in one piece, however dirty as all hell.
Old 12-29-2004, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have had two shipped....

One enclosed and not enclosed.

If you are shipping over a long distance or through a snowy climate I would ship enclosed. It costs more but if there is damage to the car, they pay for it. I had my S4 shipped from Portland to NorCal on a open carrier about three months ago whit no problems really. Expect they parked it under a 67 Camero that leaked oil on the hood and windshield. Luckly no damage was done. If the carrier is enclosed and had there been damage from another car in the carrier they would have paid.

I used Intercities for the enclosed car from NY about 3 years ago, very professional and good comunication. I can't recall who I used recently for the Oregon car...I can go home and look it up. They were good as well.

Just want to make sure they are insured....have them fax you a copy of it to make sure.
Old 12-29-2004, 02:26 PM
Rest In Peace

Default Problem with that is that the driver may move the car in/out during other moves.

I saw that happen with a Jeep on one of my moves. The driver pulled the Jeep out, put my stuff in, put the Jeep back in. At the destination, he pulled the Jeep out, took my stuff out, and put the Jeep back in again. It's not like he took it for a joyride, but there was certainly the chance for damage with repeated loading & unloading.
Old 12-29-2004, 02:32 PM

thanks for the advice
Old 12-29-2004, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I'd pay the extra money and get enclosed...

I had mine shipped in the spring from Dallas to Seattle and I couldnt believe how dirty it was when it arrived. Fortunately I couldn't find any knicks, scratches, etc. Next time I'll go with an enclosed carrier, especially if it was during the winter.
Old 12-29-2004, 02:41 PM
Elder Member

My family uses horseless carriage numerous times a year. They have been very good.
Old 12-29-2004, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default yep...

... but I got my guy to agree not to move the car, and he didn't. just takes smooth talking and an understanding. the driver usually has his schedule and can tell you if he will need to load/unload.
Old 12-29-2004, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default DAS. Dependable Auto Shippers. Did an AWESOME job. They've really got their sh|t together.

$900 from NJ to Cali. Enclosed trailer. (Or was it $1200? I forget.. it's been 4 years)

Quick Reply: anyone ship a car before? who'd ya use? any suggestions? advice? tips?