S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Anyone wished they had a convex or wideangle driver's side ext. mirror? long...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2001, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone wished they had a convex or wideangle driver's side ext. mirror? long...

Does anyone know the Audi part number for the German version of the exterior mirrors on the S4 that has the wide-angle face to allow for safer quick lane changes?

I do care about the dimming feature (have tiiniting and that doesn't matter much) and I don't want to glue those Pep Boys wide angle mirrors on my S4.

Iltek once offered convex mirrors that could be placed over A4 side mirors,but they claim they have none now for 2000-2001 S4 because of diferents shapes etc. They would rather I buy their racing mirror housing, which I do not want to do.

Anyone know if it an option on the Euro S4 models and what their part number is????

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-25-2001, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Wide lenses...

are standard equipment on all Euro Audis. I wanted to get one thru my usual channel but once I saw the price tag of around $210 I backed off. The original mirrors are of course heated and self dimming. The non-dimming version is about $50 and I used to have it on my A4.
Old 07-25-2001, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default With the heated mirrors and the dimming feature, that Euro mirror glass is something like $250....

....from what I recall. With just the heated glass you'd only be looking at $90 or so.
Old 07-25-2001, 09:15 AM

Default Re: Wide lenses... question

Did the non-dimming glass just go over the current mirror or did it require replacing the housing as if you were putting on one with the dimming and heater feature? I live in Texas and heated feature doesn't get used much if at all, I'd rather be able to change lanes without looking over my shoulder too much.
Old 07-25-2001, 09:18 AM

Anyone out there actually try it on their US spec S4? Is it worth the $250 for piece of mind?
Old 07-25-2001, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Easy replace

You don't replace the housing nor do you stick it on top of the glass; you replace the glass. It's a really simple procedure.

The glass that I had was heated (which worked) but not dimming (which my A4 didn't have at that time).
Old 07-25-2001, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Does an A4 count?

It's the same glass that I had on my A4, just not dimming. Also my dad's A6 has it, dimming & heated & convex.

At any rate, after I got into my new S4 (my 1st car not to have a convex mirror) I think I was at 200 miles on the clock when I honestly didn't see a car in the next lane on the freeway. A lot of honking from him and a fast reaction from me saved us from worse.

I will be getting one soon, that's for sure.
Old 07-25-2001, 09:31 AM

Default Re: Easy replace

Sounds simple enough, thanks. Does the simple procedure require only popping out the glass or something? I don't want to break the wrong thing...
Old 07-25-2001, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Exactly.

Take about 1ft of dental floss / string, put it behind the glass, pull. This will pop out the glass hafway; then you simply pull on that half and the whole thing comes out. The glass is held in place by 4 small clip-ons, arranged around a circle. Very easy to do.
Old 07-25-2001, 09:35 AM

Default yes, A4 counts (it's all in the family)

I know what you mean. All my previous cars had convex and was used to getting on the tollway without blinking an eye. No I have to look twice not to make a fatal mistake.

Where do you plan on getting yours? Any idea if Clairparts sell them?

Quick Reply: Anyone wished they had a convex or wideangle driver's side ext. mirror? long...