S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

ARRGH!! DAMN COP! Also... anyone been on I-80 off of GWB? Questions...

Old 05-30-2002, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARRGH!! DAMN COP! Also... anyone been on I-80 off of GWB? Questions...

I'm driving along, with busted gas gauge (being fixed next week) and I knew I was low on gas, but not <i>that</i> low, I thought I had enough to continue getting my work done.

So, then the inevitable happened...i ran out of gas. Pulled over to a side street and walked to a gas station, oh, about half a mile away. Come back, sweating like hell b/c its 96 degrees out... and I see this cop pulling away from my car. He was a good 30 yards down the block, so i wasn't going to run, especially with three gallons of gas in my hand. I had a feeling I knew what was up.

Get to the car, plunk down the gas can... and there it is... Mr. yellow. Staring me right in the face was not a 10, not a 20, not even a 25, but a THIRTY FREAKIN DOLLAR PARKING TICKET.

AL:KRGLDSHFLDSJF:l.

W T F.

Enraged I left the ticket on my windshield and began putting the gas into the gas tank. Gas is spilling all over my hands and the paint, but I got most of it in. Now I smell like gass, sweat and i'm completely 110% pissed that I almost forgot to take the ticket off the windshield...

Get into the car, start 'er up, and then I quickly noticed the ticket... duh. So i'm about to open the door when this lady passes me by. It was a tight pass so I had to wait in order to open my door. She passes and a pickup is behind her, maybe 10 feet. I get out of the car, and I reach over and get the ticket. Mr. Jackass in ugly green pickup slowly passes by and yells out "<b>Next time I'll take it off!!!!!!!!</b>"

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. . . . .

That completely ticked me off. I'm sorta anti-road rage, thus I didn't pursue him.

I know it wasn't the cops fault, he was just doing his job... but #@#@$#@$, this just makes my week so much worse. I <i>could</i> pay this fine, but why? I went to the gas station, returned the gas can, and asked for a receipt and a signature of the gas station attendant. The Lynbrook Courthouse is right down the block from the shell gas station, so it'll be easy to get away with this.

Argh... and i'm leaving for penn state u. tonite. Did NOT want any sort've tickets. Don't want to jinx myself once i get onto I-80. Anyone know how the police situation is on it? i don't have a V1 yet, and I didn't want to plunk down cash for some crappy radar detector.

Hopefully my four day respite at Penn State will help alleviate things... parrrrrtttttttty.
Old 05-30-2002, 02:01 PM

Default Fort Lee or Port Authority ticket?

You could have a state ticket or a local ticket depending on who wrote it, I am assuming you were heading west bound and got stuck on the NJ side.
Old 05-30-2002, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just doing his job!! BS. Cops are c***suckers.
Old 05-30-2002, 02:03 PM

Default I 80 has always been a strange kind of highway, I've driven it a few times(m)

and my experience has been that during the day it'll have a decent amount of cops on it with good hiding spots. At night though, the speed freaks come out. You will see 18 wheelers doing upwards of 110 mph going downhill and more than should be able to going uphill. So around 2 am the troopers are the least of your worries...it's some tweaked out truck driver.
Old 05-30-2002, 02:23 PM
gr

Default The I-80 Police Situation (most of it...)

I drive most of what you will be on ~3-5 times a year (including last weekend).

Iowa - Haven't driven it enough to really give an honest guess.

Illinois - It isn't too bad. The farther east you get the faster you can go safely.

Indiana - You can go all the way through Indiana without seeing a single trooper - this literally happens every other time I travel through.

Ohio - (that state sucks BTW) If you speed the whole way you will get a ticket, no questions asked, no doubt about it (the Ohio state troopers suck BTW). These twits even have fancy laser guns... and they use them.

Pennsylvania - I get off of 80 just inside Pennsylvania (76), but I've never seen anyone pulled over in PA on the stretch I travel.

I usually do 80+ through Illinois (stick to around 80 until about I39), ~80-85 with spurts to 100 for fun through Indiana and 74 (Cruise control with the foot on the brake) through Ohio, when I exit Ohio I flip them the bird and floor it through the beautiful hills of Pennsylvania!

I drove from Chicago to Pittsburgh the day after I bought my S4 - ticket in Ohio! Have I mentioned that Ohio sucks? If I offended anyone with my Ohio comments... sorry, but it sucks!
Old 05-30-2002, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I grew up in Northern NJ and spent 4 years driving to penn state...(UP).

Once the speed limit changes to 65, you can pretty much haul... but be careful.. there really ARE tons of hiding places for cops. I just set the cruise at about 75 and coast on down.

The spots to becareful for (where the cops have nothing better to do)... Tannersville (by the outlets, just inside of PA by the Poconos... Camelback ski resort).... and then as you get closer to State College.

Seriously... as you get closer... just do the speed limit. It's not worth it. I mean.. you're in a college town for cryin out loud.. the cops live, breathe and eat for the sole purpose of giving you a ticket.

4 years and I managed to get ONE ticket... for 7mph over. ASDFOIHFDS ******** cop.

BTW... Another word of advice.. in PA, only state troopers can use radar... all the others will either pace you or give you a ticket via guestimating, so watch the excessive lane changes and don't brake hard... just drive "smoooooooth", and you'll be fine... use the E brake first

Hope that made sense!

(Seriously... I have family in Pittsburgh and went to school at Penn State. I've done the NJ-&gt;PA drive at least 10 times a year since I could drive.)

It's just not worth it... NJ and PA state troopers are all absolute *******s. I have never met a polite and curteous cop in either state (at least when they had me pulled over).

In california, CHP is amazingly polite and respectful. They're also understanding (at least in my experience).

PA and NJ cops can lick my left nut