S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

!!!AUDI ENTHUSIASTS!!! CLUSTER DISPLAY!!!...LONG!!!...letter here-->

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 05:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !!!AUDI ENTHUSIASTS!!! CLUSTER DISPLAY!!!...LONG!!!...letter here-->

Below is my version of the letter. You should edit the letter with your info and simply restate the case. This letter is addressed to AoA.

WE SHOULD REALLY ADDRESS THE LETTER TO NHTSA. THEY ARE THE ONES THAT WILL INITIATE THE RECALL. I SUBMITTED LETTERS TO BOTH AoA AND NHTSA. ALL IT REALLY TAKES IS SOME QUICK EDITING AND AN ADDITIONAL STAMP. USE THE LETTER BELOW AS YOUR TEMPLATE.

If your cluster is working fine, you can still send a letter and state that it was replaced or you are in support of a recall. We are just trying to make the NHTSA aware of the problem. Hopefully, with enough feedback from Audi owners, the recall will take effect.

In response to the ABS issue with our cars. There is no reason why an additional complaint cannot be filed.

March 14, 2007

Audi of America
Client Relations
3499 West Hamlin Road
Rochester Hills, MI, 48309

Re: VIN Your VIN

Audi Client Relations,

I'm writing in reference to what must be a very familiar issue to you by now. My 2000 Audi S4 developed problems with its gauge cluster about 3 months after the extended warranty period ended in 2003, and the problems have grown progressively worse, causing a serious safety issue with operation of the vehicle. I have copied the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration on this letter because of the high rate of failure and safety issues associated with the gauge cluster problem on 1999-2005 Audi vehicles.

Audi AG and Audi of America have been aware of gauge cluster failure problems for several years, and the same part (gauge cluster printed circuit board) has been problematic on A4, A6 and other Audi cars built between 1999 and 2005. Audi has reportedly refused to extend warranty consideration to owners affected by the dangerous and endemic failure of this poorly-designed and manufactured part. Audi UK chose to replace all identically failed clusters free of charge in the United Kingdom.

I'm writing to ask Audi of America to cover the cost of a replacement gauge cluster for my 2000 Audi S4. My warning gauges no longer function and the multifunction liquid crystal display does not indicate readable information. As such, there is no way to know the level of seriousness of the warnings which occurs in conjunction with the display showing the information. My display has not functioned correctly since the expiration of the warranty. I have inquired at the local Audi dealer about replacement or repair, only to find out that it came with a $700 plus install service bill. I have avoided this expense since I was unaware of the importance of the display in issuing warnings of failing parts in the vehicle.

The significance of the failing display was not of major concern until February 25, 2007 when I realized just how important and vital this display is relating to the safety of daily driving. After a loud beep followed by a constant flashing of a blurry display which could not be read, I had to pull over under very unsafe conditions and do a complete check of my vehicle to try and diagnose the reason for the unknown warning. As it turns out, the flashing blur of a display was actually supposed to read "STOP" due to a low coolant level. I had to have my car towed to the nearest safe area so as to avoid any accidents. Due to the fact that the instrument cluster display was not functioning properly, this occurrence could have been readily avoided if it actually functioned as it should. Luckily, there were no accidents and no damage to my cars' engine.
As you can see, the information display is a very important part of the car which directly affects the operation of the vehicle, but more importantly, the safety of daily driving. It was the intent of Audi for this part to serve that purpose so there is a great amount of credibility to my request.

After considerable effort researching this issue, I've found that Audi in the United Kingdom (Audi UK) has offered no-cost replacement to owners affected by gauge cluster failures, due to the dangerous nature of a failed gauge cluster. I'm asking for the same consideration here in the United States, and due to the hazards presented by this defect and Audi's refusal to issue a voluntary recall.
The part in question has failed on a sizable percentage of 1999-2005 Audi vehicles, according to Audi's own service centers, and may fail on any pre-2005 car at any time, regardless of warranty status.

Audi reportedly resolved the design and manufacturing problems that cause these gauge cluster failures after the 2003 model year and placed upgraded service parts into the dealer channel, according to my local Audi dealer and service provider. Despite these remedial steps, Audi has offered no special consideration to owners affected by the problem outside of the vehicle's normal warranty and expects owners to pay over $700.00, plus the cost of installation to replace a part that was poorly designed and has a very high failure rate.

Because the defect causes a dangerous operating condition, including lack of dependable indications of fuel, temperature, engine speed or vehicle speed, the vehicle is unsafe as designed.

I will accept nothing less than full warranty coverage at my local dealership (Your authorized local dealer) of a cluster replacement to restore safe operability of my vehicle.
As the prevalence of the Internet as a research tool for consumers grows, this problem and requests for consideration and refunds will only increase. My reasonable request should be honored; Audi clearly knows about this abnormally high failure rate, and has taken appropriate action in other countries to rectify the problem. Audi and its dealers are aware of the dangerous nature of this failure, and the exact reasons for the problem, which have been corrected in subsequent revisions of the cluster part.

There should be no other response to this request but agreement to replace the cluster at no charge. Additionally, Audi should consider a recall of the affected parts to ensure consumer and motorist safety.

Sincerely yours,

your name/info here
Cell phone:
Home Phone:
Office Phone:
E-mail:
Address:

cc:
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
Vehicle Safety Division
400 7th Street, SW Rm. 5232
Washington, D.C. 20590
Old 10-02-2007, 05:55 AM
Keeper of the Cash

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Like one of the B5A4 members said: "If they haven't done a recall for the ABS, why would they do it

for this?"

All you're trying to do is save money on a new cluster, drag us into it, and waste the NHSTA's time.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:58 AM

I sent a similar letter to Audi of America, and a dealer replaced the cluster for free
Old 10-02-2007, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default wheres the 'safety issue'?

im all for the recall, however im not sure i see the safety issue...
Old 10-02-2007, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I tried the same thing and the dealer still wanted to charge me...

full price for the cluster but free labor.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default They aren't going to do a recall if the number of people who report

having the problem is small. The point of bringing the NHTSA into the matter is to get an organization with weight involved. The NHTSA set up that complaint form so that people could lodge these types of complaints. If a sufficient number of people report an issue they might recommend the manufacturer do something about the problem.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Might be nice to see that my brake pads were going south on me. But, I cant read my failing cluster.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:33 AM

I called and filled over the phone.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

which dealer?!
Old 10-02-2007, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

2nd, took about 10 mins

Quick Reply: !!!AUDI ENTHUSIASTS!!! CLUSTER DISPLAY!!!...LONG!!!...letter here-->