S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

AWE Stage III FATS info inside.......(long)...so many months ago I bought an AWE fueling kit to.....

Old 09-07-2004, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AWE Stage III FATS info inside.......(long)...so many months ago I bought an AWE fueling kit to.....

go with my recently installed KO4s. I have a 2001 H-box. At that time, there was no option for "do it yourself" fueling with different MAF housings, TCDs, injectors, etc.....

Anyway, I was happy with the kit but not thrilled with the light throttle issue and a few other things. (see link to my post from 8/29/04).

I changed over to Piggie's stuff (88mm housing, open element cone filter, X-chip, MBC and TCD). With just a few Lemmiwinks tweaks, my FATS times dropped from 4.1 to 3.6 or so. I was very happy.

I then received an e-mail from Todd at AWE telling me the update was available and he'd send it out.

Well, last PM, I pulled everything out and re-installed the new AWE stuff.

Basically, I put my car back to AWE-only kit:

I removed the TCD and MBC. Re-attached the N75, removed the Piggie MAF and cone filter. I reinstalled the stock airbox with the hole AWE tells you to cut. Reinstalled the AWE MAF housing with the flow straightener installed. Changed my chip to the new AWE M-box file.

I have to say, the car is soooo smooth. Letting the N75 control boost is very nice. There is NO part throttle issue at all - so hats off to AWE for fixing the issue.

The problem is - my car is SLOW!!! And, I'm concerned about possibly running lean.

FATS times last PM (62F, low humidity) 4.7 and 4.5 - one person in the car with me.

O2 sensor voltages were below 0.8 at WOT - like, less than 0.8 the entire run, except maybe 1 data point at redline where it hit 0.8 on the nose. I've never seen 02 voltages this low with any of the different software I've run. Knock sensor activity was fine. I did a few runs looking at O2 sensor voltages and it was the same each time - voltages stayed BELOW 0.8 at WOT. From what I've learned here, this # should be ABOVE 0.8 at WOT correct? I thought closer to 0.85v was most desirable and much higher was a bit rich?

Well, this post is not intended to complain about AWE but simply to give information about my experience with the new M-box "sauce" I received.

Again, the drivability is nice - very smooth. But, my FATS times are slower, much slower, on this software and I have NO IDEA what to make of the O2 sensor voltages....

Easy fix, the AWE stuff is coming out, Piggie's stuff is going back in and I'm back to tweaking the set-up as best it can be tweaked.

If anyone can explain to me what the O2 sensor voltages mean that would be nice. FWIW, Block 032 showed 0% at idle and +2.3% at part throttle after some driving around.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/1746958.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/1746958.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 09-07-2004, 05:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

YGM.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

kudos to your sincerity jason!!
Old 09-07-2004, 06:23 AM

Default I am experiencing same thing with the update...

lean conditions that are VERY similar to what your talking about. my FATS are still slow, but it is smoother than the last, just slower as well...
the issue still isnt solved for both uf us; obviously.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Replace the stock airbox with an EVO intake and tweak the AWE sauce. I bet your FATS will be back

inline with your old piggie setup with better drivability. Just a thought and it might be worth a try. Feel free to shoot me an email if you want.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:27 AM

Default Which chip file#? The latest update has not been sent out, so you and Jason may be talking about

different files.

Lean air fuel is not necessarily from not enough fuel:

A closing throttle, low boost, or collapsing intake hoses will make the air fuel look lean as the load is below target.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:41 AM

Default well...

the file you sent was about 3 weeks ago. it came with the flow straightener. im running abox, and it is the mbox file im pretty sure.

no collapsed hose
boost is fine

I was on the constant search for boost leaks, but none can be found. pressure holds nicely, even when compressor is off and plugged with my finger.

it could have something to do with load, but i doubt it.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I am sure we are both running different files based on the fact that you don't

have to deal with 91 craptane. Either way my point is that you should spend sometime with the AWE kit before scrapping it for the piggie setup. If you spent 1/2 the time you do on the piggie stuff with the AWE kit I think you would be very impressed with the results. Not to say that the AWE kit isn't already good but if you are looking for max power/smoothness/drivability I think the kit needs to be dialed in for each car. Honestly it can be done in a hour or two.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:04 AM

What 88mm MAF does piggie use?
Old 09-07-2004, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no idea - just had a nice Pig head engraved on it and works damn well!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AWE Stage III FATS info inside.......(long)...so many months ago I bought an AWE fueling kit to.....