S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Back from trip -- Damn there are a lot of Audis in SF! (& rental rants)

Old 05-21-2000, 01:15 PM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Back from trip -- Damn there are a lot of Audis in SF! (& rental rants)

Spent a few nights with my sister in SF at Union & Filmore -- I think I saw an average of 1.5 Audis per block -- possibly outnumbering any other single make. A4's, A6's, S4's, Avants, older models -- probably more in any 3 square block area than some dealers have on their lots. The ratios of Audis in that part of SF was probably 30x the ratio in Houston. It kind of gave me the impression that BMW's & MB's were more rare than Audis.

Also went to Yosemite and up the coast to Eureka and through the Redwoods -- that Highway 1 is a bitch! I must have made 3000 to 4000 turns over 300+ miles in the 12.5 hour trip back to SF. Even in an S4 I wouldn't do that one again.

Being in a rental Dodge Intrepid sure made me miss the S4. The Intrepid had the worst seats of any vehicle I have ever driven -- kind of a "negative" lumbar support (where there should have been support there was actually a caved in area of the seat) -- useless headrests and seats that were overall designed for nobody taller than about 5-8 (despite the fact that there was probably headroom for someone 6-8). I don't have back problems but severe back pain would set in driving that car in under 30 minutes -- to cope I would roll up a large heavy leather jacket and use it as a lumbar support. Visibility was a joke as well -- the headliner/roof came down about 4 vertical inches from the top of the ceiling preventing sight lines to red lights, street signs, scenic mountain tops and all sorts of curvy roads above and ahead on Hwy. 1. The 200hp 2.7L engine seemed good -- that car's only saving grace -- nothing else in it should even be for sale; I can't believe anyone would actually pony up $20k for such a poorly-designed piece of crap (although body roll wasn't too bad either). As much of a POS I think they are, a Toyota Corolla is definitely more comfortable.

No way I could stomach the real estate prices in SF but I love Northern California. How's Sacramento? I'd love to be that close to the coast, Yosemite, Tahoe, SF, etc. I'm a transactional attorney and think I could live there quite easily.
Old 05-21-2000, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Back from trip -- Damn there are a lot of Audis in SF! (& rental rants)

I live in Placerville...1 hr from Tahoe, 2 from SF and property values about $110/ft2. Can be a bit warm in the summer (95-105 about 40% of the time from June-August). It's an Audi lover's home!
Old 05-21-2000, 03:22 PM

Default Heh! You probably saw mine! I'm right in the area

Silver S4 with bumpers scratched to hell. Love driving the S, but when it comes down to it, it's still just a car.

But I would agree. The A/S4's are rampant around Pac Heights -- fits in with the Pottery Barn/Crate and Barrel lifestyle around here
Old 05-21-2000, 04:30 PM
CMM
AudiWorld Member

Sacramento is fine...but it was 97 degrees here today - not great turbo weather!
Old 05-21-2000, 08:27 PM
Tim
AudiWorld Member

Default That's cow hollow...

A buddy lives there (has an A4), and you're right, every other car is an Audi.

Tim
Old 05-21-2000, 10:21 PM

Default Re: joechang, is that your S4??

Hey Joe, do you park your car right off of the top of Chestnut St. ? I've seen a silver S4 parked immediately after making a left off of Chestnut at the top of the hill (coming up Chestnut from Columbus).

I've seen it quite a few times. My GF lives here in North Beach. She knows and has fully accepted the fact that my '01 S4 is on order!