S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Bad experience with a towing company -- advice needed. (long)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 12:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad experience with a towing company -- advice needed. (long)

A buddy of mine locked his keys in his car while it was running. Not too sure how you pull something like this off but anyway. He had a spare key in his pocket but it wouldn't open the door for some reason. First he tries using a wire hanger to pop the lock -- no luck.

Then I took him down to the store to pickup a lock de-icer. That didn't seem to work either so we ended up calling the police barracks hoping they'd help. After telling us they don't do that anymore they took down his contact info, said they'd call around to see who would pop his locks and call us back.

About 10 minutes goes by and we don't get a call back. We figured that they were still calling around and he decides to try the key one more time. I've never used one of the lock de-icers before, but it seems that they take a few minutes to fully work.

Just as he opens the passanger's side door with the key, the tow truck guy pulls up. He politely explains to the man that we seem to have gotten the lock opened and that we wouldn't be needing his services. The tow truck guy responds with telling him that he owes him $50 for 'waking him up at 12:30 in the morning and coming down there.'

We ended up following the tow truck guy back to the shop and calling the cops because, IMO, there's NO reason why he needed to pay that because no services were provided. After a bunch of debate and NO help from the cops, he ended up paying this shmuck $50 because the tow truck guy threatened to keep his car until the balance was paid.

Now, what can/should be done in this situation? Is it even worth going to small claims court or reporting them to the BBB? Any advice is greatly appreciated and will be passed along.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well, if the car was never in the posession of the Tow Truck driver...

there's no reason that you should have paid him.

He couldn't have kept your car, it would have been theft. It's one thing if the services are rendered, and then you don't pay him.

Hmm... I guess if you had called the tow truck company, and given them your info, you would be liable for the service call...

I guess at this point, it's not worth anything else... not worth the effort for small claims... I think you just blew away fiddy bucks...
Old 01-16-2005, 01:05 AM

Default 2nd... but i would register a complaint w\ BBB and file a report with the cops...

also, if the payment was made with a CC, i would file a report there too.

thats fraud and on principle alone you should take assertive action...

sorry for the spelling, its 2am.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Good point... maybe call the owner of the tow truck company... BBB is good..

regardless, I think you're out your fiddy.

And yea, it's 2, and I'm a bit tipsy... I don't care about my spelling.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:27 AM

Sad thing is... he WAS the owner of the tow truck company.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:28 AM

Yeah I feel bad for my buddy who got taken for $50.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:57 AM

call the police. sounds like extortion.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Seems to me the guy was due the $50.

You asked or knew the cops would be calling him and he therefore came out at your request. His time is money just like everyone else's.
Old 01-16-2005, 03:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Let it go. Tow companies have fee schedules - The tow fee of $120+ and probably hourly rates for...

ID10t onsite service (lockouts, dead battery, flat tire, etc.). You got this guy to come by and help you through the assistance of the police. Suck it up and stop bitching about $50. Maybe it should've been lower but the fact is that someone came by at the last possible instance (when you finally got the door opened yourself).

The only thing I would think is that you got the company at an off-hour rate schedule. At most I would've paid this guy is $30 for driving and providing no service. You at least owed him that - again, depending on their fees as they should be made available upon request. Therefore, you only lost $20 since he didn't provide any service. At this point I would say suck it up and wash your hands. Feel good you just paid for his yearly subscription to Swank magazine.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I would've paid the guy

You did get him out of bed in the middle of the night! If you don't pay the guy for his time he may not show up for the next person that really is in trouble.

Quick Reply: Bad experience with a towing company -- advice needed. (long)