S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Best fitting exhaust and best performance-enhancing exhaust overall?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2002, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best fitting exhaust and best performance-enhancing exhaust overall?

Okay, I have been reading as much of forum as possible trying to find out which exhaust causes the least hassle to install. I plan on going to a local Meineke or muffler shop and getting one put on. So which is the exhaust that requires the least adjustment (i.e. pull off stock and just mount the new one)?

I was focusing in on the VM3, Neuspeed, and Borla exhaust. They seem to be the cheapest, yet they are of decent quality. I have checked out the sound files for the above exhausts and they all sound good to me. I would prefer a true dual exhaust (VM3) but it seems that a lot of folks are having problems with installation. I used to have a Volvo 850 Turbo and I went to a Meineke to put on an aftermarket exhaust. They really had problems even doing simple adjustments to mount it properly. Thus, I have little confidence in their being able to perform the adjustments mentioned on the forum for each exhaust.

Now, which provides the best increase in power? AWE Tuning claims an approximate increase of 15 hp with the Borla. I would think that the VM3 would give the most increase of the three since its cross sectional surface area is the greatest. UUC has a comparative analysis of their exhaust's performance to that of stock and even chipped.

I would really appreciate any feedback on the above. thanks.
Old 08-27-2002, 03:49 PM

Default I got a scorpion. 900 usd plus. Easy install. True dual tips that look great. Sound is . . .<mor

kinda quiet but I love it. It sits great. It pokes out about three inches from the bottom shelf of the rear bumper. Just IMHO. . . . its a great choice . . german made
Old 08-27-2002, 03:53 PM
Elder Member

Default i thnk the truth is

i thnk the truth is no one really knows and none of them add a whole whole lot...and of course it depends ont eh install...if you got a leaking exhaust well...it sounds like shiet adn i'm sure preformance is degraded...oen thing of note...biggest total cross sectional surface area doesn't necessarily mean best flow....effects of the boundary conditions of the fluid flow of 2 small pipes (read flow near the actual metal surfces) may override the increased surface area gain...however...benig that the VM3 has but one TINY muffler...it probabaly is one of the least restrictive....btw VM3's are loud...alot of ppl seem to find the Neuspeed G2 a nice compromise of loud/quiet....the borla(and old nuespeed borla) is a favorite here but some say it drones....also i like the 2 pipes out of the G2 rear muffler rather that he one that splits up like the borla... another consideration may be the forge twin exahust with 2 tiny little muffler/resonators...
in the end...its more about sound, as i'm sure they all provide a little extra power on the top end, and more importantly maybe faster spool up...so i'd say...go for teh sound/looks....
Old 08-27-2002, 03:59 PM

Place online to get neuspeed exhaust for the cheapest? Also, anyone doing a group buy?
Old 08-27-2002, 04:06 PM
Elder Member

Default lots of places sell it

SPP, New Dimensions, Greedspeed, among others....
Old 08-27-2002, 04:27 PM

Default I'd like to see ONE exhaust manufacturer do/share a lil R&D. Backpressure at ...

the manifold and turbo outlet.
Even a carefully controlled dyno comparison on the same car.

They probably already did and found negligible gains and don't wish to share.

I guess its up to the buyers taste in tone and looks.

Neuspeed G2 is a nice sounding, looking, and priced system IMO
Old 08-27-2002, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default It doesn't make a damn bit of difference.....

All the aftermarket exhausts for the S4 are decent quality. Manufacturers know that anyone buying a $42,000 car isn't going to put a tin-pot exhaust on it. From a pure quality standpoint, nothing can touch MTM. Is it worth the money compared to some others...probably not. But is a Bentley worth the money compared an S8? The sound and feel of the exhaust come much more into play. Go by how it looks, sounds, and how the engine feels when it revs. They will all add about 15hp which will do nothing for your performance at this overall level of power. The variation from engine to engine is more than 15hp. Now..... downpipes and cat-back on a chipped motor...that's a different story.
Old 08-27-2002, 05:04 PM

Default Re: It doesn't make a damn bit of difference.....

just got my ride chipped with an APR chip. i really like it. just need a good exhaust. will probably go with the neuspeed g2.

thanks for the reply. peace.
Old 08-27-2002, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default We have the Neuspeed at $600 shipped right now

<ul><li><a href="http://www.supremepowerparts.com">http://www.supremepowerparts.com</a</li></ul>
Old 08-27-2002, 08:38 PM

fyi. Scorpion exhaust are made in England not Germany.

Quick Reply: Best fitting exhaust and best performance-enhancing exhaust overall?