S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

best shock and spring combo.. not coilovers though

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2002, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best shock and spring combo.. not coilovers though

i wanna hear what people think the best shock and spring combo is. no coilovers though there too much $
Old 10-20-2002, 10:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: best shock and spring combo.. not coilovers though

i know that awe tuning offers some good stuff. i think its bilsteins and hr springs<ul><li><a href="http://www.awe-tuning.com">awe tuning</a></li></ul>
Old 10-20-2002, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have Koni/APR .... I like it a lot...ride height is a lil high in the rear though.
Old 10-20-2002, 10:06 PM

Default Eibach Pro Kit and Bilsteins. Here's why....

The Bilstein monotube gas design is superior to the Koni dual oil pumpers by design. They are less friction/heat and self adjusting. The Bilsteins specific for the S4 are valved to stock spring rates of 348F/292R. Eibach Pros are 360F/270R which put them smack in the range for valve matched shocks to springs. Bilstein is designed for a lot of high speed dampening which favors a softer progressive spring design over a firmer one in drivability as well as comfort. There are many ways to tune a road car. A classic German school of thought likes to run stiffer shocks over soft progressive springs and tightens the chassis roll by upgrading to stiff roll bars front and rear. These cars are the ones that will lift a wheel when going up a steep driveway diagonally. This counters another school of thought that favors high spring rates with valve matched shocks which reign supreme on the track. Roadcars should be tuned differently, IMHO.
Old 10-21-2002, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default how is a bilstein monotube superior to a koni twin tube by design?

don't let marketing fool you. Last time i checked, CART cars were running twin tube dampers.
Old 10-21-2002, 09:28 AM

Default The Bilsteins run a lot cooler and are self adjusting. Comparing to what a race series uses is kind

of irrelevant since those are throw away items after the race season. Call Darryl at shox.com (RD enterprises) for a more detailed explanation. Personally, I ran Konis on all my Porsches for years, but like Weissach I have since switched to Bilsteins. <ul><li><a href="http://www.bilstein.com/products/mono.html">http://www.bilstein.com/products/mono.html</a</li></ul>
Old 10-21-2002, 09:35 AM

Default Vs. oil cavitation. :)

<ul><li><a href="http://www.bilstein.com/products/twin.html">http://www.bilstein.com/products/twin.html</a</li></ul>
Old 10-21-2002, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default cavitation is a function of all dampers, how it is dealt with differs...

also, cavitation is more of an issue in a strut based front suspension, as opposed to what is in the S4.

Secondly, the way that bilstein deals with cavitation in the monotube is to pressurize (with nitrogen) the monotube to a very high amount, especially in a strut based damper (like 200psi).

In an S4, you do not need that much pressure, since shaft speeds are very low. High shaft speeds are what cause cavitation, and are fairly minimal in an S4. Not that cavitation does not occur at lower shaft speeds, but it is much less.

In addition, the advantage that a bilstein runs cooler is a disadvantage in that the damper is more susceptible to damage.

Also, "self-adjusting" sounds like a marketing gimmick to me. What you get from a bilstein is a linear rate damper. So I guess if a linear rate damper is "self-adjusting", then they are correct.

Lastly, I doubt that at around $3000 per corner on a CART damper, they are throwing them away after each race, especially when there is likely nothing wrong with the damper.
Old 10-21-2002, 10:28 AM

Call some teams and see if the use the same dampers every season.
Old 10-21-2002, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

you said "throw away items after each race"...not every season

Quick Reply: best shock and spring combo.. not coilovers though