S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Brake question: I did a quick search and just want some fresh opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake question: I did a quick search and just want some fresh opinions

I see 3 kits I can go with:

Stasis Motorsports
Brembo BBK
Stoptech 355 kit

You can find the last 2 kits slightly used for about $1500 and the stasis kit will be $3000.

I will be doing about 10 track events per year and will be pretty much a novice at least for the rest of this year. I will have a set of rims with slicks and set the car up track use only for these events.

I read the long posts from Stoptech and Stasis and the more you read the more confusing it gets.

I would love feedback from people who are using these kits at events and what they think and have experienced.

Thank You.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:17 AM
Rest In Peace

Default Why go with a 355 kit? All you really need is a 332/330 kit. (more)

Less expensive, and no requirement to run 18s all the time.

One other suggestion if you're a novice: put the slicks away for a LONG time. Most clubs won't even let new folks run on slicks anyway. Even so, you'll learn less than you would if you allowed yourself to be challenged by normal tires. If you're doing 10 events/year, you'll be ready for slicks in a few years. Resist the temptation to focus on lap times and just concentrate on learning.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

he speaks the truth
Old 05-25-2005, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I'm using the 332mm Brembo kit. ..

So far I have just 2 days on the track (I was using this setup), so I'm a NOOB too. I'll be doing another 8-10 days on the track this year too. One of my instructors proved to me pretty convincingly that these are all the brakes I'll need for a LONG time.

Truthfully, after just going through this, I'd probably do my first event with stock brakes, see how they stood up, and if I wasn't satisfied, replace them at that point. That way you'll know personally why you are upgrading.

Are you sure the class you are in allows slicks for novices? A lot of the schools either don't allow them, or at least, don't recommend them for beginners, as they, like great brakes, don't do much for people who are just learning, as the point of better brakes or tires or suspension, etc. is to increase the size of your car's friction circle. But when you're new, you generally only be at 50-70% of your car's STOCK friction circle; hence wasting your money in making it bigger yet. Just one instructor's explanation (that made a lot of sense to me). *dons flamesuit*
Old 05-25-2005, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

beat me to it... :-)
Old 05-25-2005, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default well, your biggest change is going to be in the 6 piston Alcon vs. 4 piston stoptech/brembo caliper

all 3 are such a vast improvement over stock, you're starting to talk about the 20%, and not hte 80%.

That being said...

The 6 piston caliper runs a "longer" pad which has more swept area on the disc, which translates to more end-braking.

Also, with 6 pistons instead of 4, and differentially sized (as they are all, but more so with more pistons) you can increase the size less dramatically, which will lead to even less pad taper issues.

But more so, I think the pedal feel will be different in the 3 kits. The Brembo 355 runs big pistons, so it should have a decently long pedal travel to it, and the effort will come on more so towards the end.

The Alcon will be in the middle. It will not be as long traveled as the Brembo, but it will be longer then the stoptech. The pedal effort is more linear.

The stoptech will have the shortest pedal travel, and this is a personal preference thing. Some people like the brakes to come on strong, quick. Others want more travel for more modulation. But there is little question that the stoptech will have the shortest pedal travel. The pedal effort here will be quicker then the others (come on sooner).

The rotors are all running their own unique floating system. So let's just say they're all floating.

As for disc make, I've not seen the metal-makeup of a stoptech or brembo disc (nor will I likely ever get to), but I do know that Alcon spends a lot of time getting the compisition right. And they focus a lot of engeering on content that handles high heat more. Basically, the Brembo disc is a street focused disc. Alcon only makes discs for race cars, they have no "street" disc casting (or supplier). Stoptech has their own setup, I have no idea who they get their rotors from.

Another thing is the piston seals. The Alcon's are really quick, and I think this is somewhat lost on an ABS equipped car, but out of ABS, the reaction time on/off the brakes is nice.

Lastly, pad availability. Though I have no issues getting pads for my Alcon's, I'd be lie-ing if I said it wasn't easier to get pads for the Brembo or Stoptech (which uses a brembo pad shape). Cost I think will be a wash (within $50 per set based on make/compound).
Old 05-25-2005, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Expert

any insights on pedal feel for the alcon 4pot caliper?
Old 05-25-2005, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

good write up
Old 05-25-2005, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default on an s4...

...it will be similar to brembo 332 kit in terms of pedal travel.

it will have more travel then teh stoptech 332 kit, possibly the 355 kit as well.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

2nd steve's comment. Might want to check their rules, some don't allow slicks for novices.

Quick Reply: Brake question: I did a quick search and just want some fresh opinions