S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Bringing my e46M3 to Houston.... looking to meet up with a chipped S4.......

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2002, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bringing my e46M3 to Houston.... looking to meet up with a chipped S4.......

I used to have a silver/onyx 6 spd S4 with APR. Was on the board for a while reading about all you guys I am headed to Houston for the weekend (Sat and Sun) and would hook up with someone who has Stage 1, 2, 2+ or even 3 for some friendly racing. No gambling just looking to see how we stack up............. I was planning to head to Westheimer .... James Coney Island??

By the way, what ever happened to Smellsogood?? That was some of the funniest sh*t I have ever read.
Old 03-27-2002, 01:04 PM

How do you think they match up?
Old 03-27-2002, 01:05 PM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default There's a dealership tech session Saturday...

It's topic is suspension installation, which will start up around 9, with the formal event starting up around noon (after the suspension installation is well under way) with burgers. That might be a good way to hook up. I'm running APR software in my car. It's at Advantage Audi, 11811 Katy Freeway (I-10), just east of Dairy Ashford on the south side of the freeway.
Old 03-27-2002, 01:47 PM

Default LOVE your sig....... well, I will answer your flame-bait question honestly........LONG......

Basically, the M3 is faster than my Stage 1 with APR chip. It feels faster and in measuring it against the G-Tech Pro, it is. My S4 really lost a TON of performance in the heated summer too. Even with the chip the 0-60 times in the heat (90+) were mid 5's. The best time I ever got 0-60 was 4.98 in 50 degree weather and I also got a 13.84 1/4 mile time... I forgot my trap speed 99?101? ... Anyway, I can repeatedly rip 4.7s and 4.8's with the M3 and I have gotten 13.32-13.5 with some regularity (15 tries) The S4 is not easier to launch as many would think because you have to keep spooling up the turbos by feathering the throttle before launch. With the M3, I just dial up 4000 rpm and let it rip. Traction is only a problem for a second. The 60 mph ++ is really where the M3 shines as its powerband is so broad and the sound is wonderful. I didn't like the sound of the S54 engine at first but now.... I absolutely love it!! I am awaiting an exhaust mod either from Tubi, Dinan or AA...... My M3 would certainly beat my Stage 1 S4 but I would like to see it up against a Stage 2 or 2+. Guys who have dyno'd their M3s have got 289-294.3 hp to the wheels and I think that is close to what a 2 or 2+ would put down. That plus the weight dissadvantage would make me think that the cars are very very close indeed.

I had the S4 for almost 13,000 miles and installed the APR chip at about 2500 so I would say that I have a good deal of exp. with the car. Also, I didn't have any other perf. mods other than the chip and airfilter. First of all, I still love the S4. I think the interior is MUCH MUCH better than the M3. I hate the BMW orange guages and they aren't the same color orange. The H/K system sucks ***. Even the S4 BOSE system is better IMO. I think the Audi plastics were superior and I miss the dash layout. Funny thing is that the M3 actually has a bigger back seat than the 4 door S4. I am tall (6'3") and my friends who are all over 6'0" can fit in the back without me having to scoot the seat up very far. (The S4 was always bad for back seaters with me driving)

The reasons I wanted the M3 were for looks and performance. For me to get = or maybe better performance (performance does not only mean 0-60 and 1/4 mi times ) than the stock e46 M3 I had to have a Stage 2+ S4. So, chip, airfilter, cat back or full turbo's back exhaust was a start. Also, that meant I could have severe wtty issues (well documented) if I ever had a problem. I figured that to be about $3500. Also, that put my car at a $7000 risk for the cost of 2 blown turbos. I would also have to upgrade the brakes, wheels and suspension. Another $5000+ wich adds up to alot of sunk money that I would never get back. Plus, the heat of Dallas really hurts the performance of the turbos. I put about 25K miles a year on my cars and rarely keep them longer than 12-18 months (Previously to the S4 I had an A6 2.7T with 6 speed) So in the end financially, it looked like an easy decision. Also, I absolutely love the way the M3 looks and sounds. I really believe it is one of the best looking cars I have ever seen. I also thought about a 996 911 but I really need the utility as this was to be my only car. The MB C32 is also a great car but too stealthy for my tastes and I don't want a sports car with an automatic. I have already put myself on the list for a 2003 S4 from my dealer so the Audi chapter in my life is not over. If they do confirm the RS6, I would want one of those too!!!
Old 03-27-2002, 01:53 PM

Thanks for the invite. I will try to make it there with my brother.
Old 03-27-2002, 02:19 PM

Default Quick question for you:

How do you rate the ride of the M3 compared to that of the stock S4? I drove an E46 M3, but not for long enough to tell the difference with absolute certainty; to me, it had a stiffer ride, but not hugely so.

I agree with your assessment of the interiors, though...that's BMW's big shortfall, imo...if their interiors were as nice as their exteriors, I'd have probably gotten one in the first place, although I still love my S...
Old 03-27-2002, 02:44 PM

Default The M3 is much much more rough. I now feel bumps on streets that I never knew existed....

I try to avoid those streets now. For 95% of my driving, I prefer the stock S4 suspension setting as it was nicer for hwy cruising and getting in and out of traffic. But, the 5% of the time that I am pushing it, it is well worth the difference. I wonder what the difference would be if Audi had some low profile 18"s. Also, the S4 would roll in hard corners where the M3 feels more planted. Granted these are things that some minor suspension mods would fix but that is what I notice. I really think that there is a big steering difference. I seem to think I have more feel at the limit and that it is easier to apply subtle adjustments at the limit to the M3 than S4. I don't really know how much has to do with the steering vs. Quattro though. I am not a track jockey and so some of my comments may be attributed to lack of experience.
Old 03-27-2002, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

race Zerin, he's bone stock...
Old 03-27-2002, 03:53 PM
Foo
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

if you head to westheimer... Jamba Juice at post oak/west about 10pm is THE spot!!!
Old 03-27-2002, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'm game. Lets run em! And I'm a fellow longhorn too :)

Email me, i'll give you my cellphone number!

Quick Reply: Bringing my e46M3 to Houston.... looking to meet up with a chipped S4.......