S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Broken exhaust manifold - I've joined the "Drop engine to repair" club (long) :-(

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2000, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken exhaust manifold - I've joined the "Drop engine to repair" club (long) :-(

For about the last 10 days, I've noticed that after starting the car when cold and just giving a slight amount of gas in 1st or 2nd, I had a metallic rattling sound coming from under the front of the car. When I gave more gas, or after the car warmed up I didn't hear anything. Figured it was a loose heat shield or pipe hanger.

Took the car in today to replace a coolant temp sensor, which apparently was causing my "check engine" light to stay on (the part had been on order 3 weeks and just came in.) I said, "by the way, could you check out this rattle coming from under the car?" Find out this afternoon that when they removed an engine cover a piece of metal falls out that's part of a support bracket for the exhaust manifold. It's not causing an immediate problem other than the noise, but they said it will very likely get worse and cause more trouble.

Funny thing is, they have another S4 up on the lift that had the SAME problem. Seems they tried welding the bracket back in place once, but it broke again so they're replacing the manifold. Bad news is you've got to drop the engine to do this, and they estimate up to two weeks before they'll have mine done. At least the part is available...

I hate to think what this would cost if it wasn't under warranty - probably around $5K. It worries me that this may be a design issue, what with the other S4 in at the same time. My car has just under 16K miles, and will be a year old this Friday. I asked them to check with Audi and see whether the turbo's need to be replaced with the new part number as long as the engine is out already.

Needless to say, this is a total downer to deal with, but thankfully I've got a good dealer and they've got a master mechanic who's been with them 30 years doing the major work. The loaner car isn't terrific, a Mitsubishi Mirage from Thrifty Rental, but it's transportation for to and from work. I'll be driving my wife's A6 Avant every chance I can get in the mean time. Until this happened my S4 has been pretty much trouble-free, and I never expected any major issue like this, but this is something everyone may want to be aware of.
Old 10-11-2000, 06:10 PM

Sorry to hear. Is your S4 at Heishman's?
Old 10-11-2000, 06:34 PM

I hear lots of these stories, it's what scares me from buying an S4 for the long haul
Old 10-11-2000, 06:53 PM

Default Just be careful what you say here...don't want to insult AOA with any implications of design flaws.

The dastardly sword of MODERATION might fall upon you!

P.S. Hope you get it fixed quickly.
Old 10-11-2000, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yes, I'm in one corner and an Imola with the engine/tranny removed is in another corner...

It's really fascinating seeing what it looks like with everything removed, kind of like watching open-heart surgery. But it gives you pause when you realize it's YOUR heart that's being operated on next!
Old 10-11-2000, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yeah, I really hope it's coincidence and not a design issue...

Just out of curiosity I checked my RB Repair Manual CD to see the procedure for removing the exhaust manifold:
1. Remove engine
2. Remove turbo
3. Remove manifold

And like I said, maybe they'll decide to install the new turbo's as long as everything is apart. I'm sure AoA won't want to ever have to pay to drop the engine twice! I don't expect any issues from them at all, the car is virtually bone stock.
Old 10-11-2000, 07:18 PM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Well, weren't the earlier Euro S4's exhaust manifolds cracking???

...wonder if this is an after-effect of a redesigned part that solves the cracking?
Old 10-11-2000, 07:28 PM

Default Yep, that Imola next to yours is mine! Now going into week two for the broken bracket fix.

I understand the "expert" that was working on it had to take the week off for personal reasons. That has delayed everything, now they are saying next week! Hope they got you a better rental car than the Mitsu tin can they gave me.

I also asked them to check into the turbo updates as long as the engine was out, but they have not received word back from AoA yet.

Good Luck!
Old 10-11-2000, 07:33 PM

I feel your pain!
Old 10-11-2000, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Small world, my car makes that same noise - a metallic rattle, sounds like a loose heat shield.

I only hear it in the parking garage at work, maybe I'll drop it off Heishman's and have them take a look at it.

Quick Reply: Broken exhaust manifold - I've joined the "Drop engine to repair" club (long) :-(