S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Buying a used s4. need some honest opinions from actual owners

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 08:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a used s4. need some honest opinions from actual owners

I drive a 2003 1.8t GTI right now but im looking to get into an s4. My dad has a silver 2001 tip and im in love with the car. (except the color and tranny). all my vw friends are telling me not to cause its way to expensive to fix and totally unreliable. If i do some minor engine mods (chip, exhaust, bi-pipe, samco all around) what else can i expect to fail? Ive heard something about the 6 speed being weak but i want actual experience. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-31-2003, 08:29 AM

Car is reliable. Over 40k so far and no problems.
Old 07-31-2003, 08:31 AM
Elder Member

Default totally unreliable--is totally BS...

mine-(2001 Avant) has 26000 miles on it and has been TOTALLY reliable. My car is BONE STOCK except for wheels and I believe this has something to do with it. I drive hard but not beyond what the car is designed to do. used cars are always a crap shoot as you dont know how they are treated. a Modded car could be in perfect shape and a stock S4 could have the crap beaten out of it---look for AUDI ASSURED used cars! good luck
Old 07-31-2003, 08:35 AM

Default Re: Buying a used s4. need some honest opinions from actual owners

it seems to be a roll of the dice...you might blow turbos, might not...you might get them covered under warranty, might not...I've had very few problems thus far...maybe that I don't push it 100% all the time, maybe that I'm religous about warming up and cooling down. If money is giong to be really tight, then look for something cheaper...if you're willing to spend the money, then I personally feel it's a great car. As far as the transmission goes, it's pretty solid. It can handle pretty hight power numbers without upgrades...a few guys have had problems with the synchros, but can't really tell if it's an epidemic or select cases. Other specifics, search the archives, there are 130k+ threads of information out there.
Old 07-31-2003, 08:37 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Turbos and trannies are weak points in these cars...

Even IF the failure rate is only 10%, it's still a LOT higher than failure rates of those components in the GTI, which is why your friends are discouraging it. Those two weak points are probably the most expensive components (aside from the engine itself) that you'll ever replace on the S4. Another reason why your friends are discouraging it.

You know the drill...if you're going to mod, there is a good chance you could get stuck with the repair bill if these components fail on you. That's the price you pay.
Old 07-31-2003, 08:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I know you gotta pay to play

Im aware of the risk you run when you do mod the car. When i bought my GTI i drove it from the dealer to get it chipped, it had like 65 miles on it. Not the smartest thing i know in retrospect but oh well. I still think im gonna go forward with it, like i said i LOVE my dads car.

If something breaks ill just have to grin and bear it, if its the turbos then i guess ill just need a turbo upgrade. Aside from the turbos and tranny, it seems like everything else is pretty solid.
Old 07-31-2003, 08:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Side note, anyone in the NE area wanna buy an indigo blue GTI?
Old 07-31-2003, 08:46 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default You do realize...upgrading the turbos in these cars will send you down the slippery slope

to bankrupcy! Replacing the turbos involves removing the engine. That means a lot of labor. While you're in there, it presents the opportunity to replace a lot of other little bits that really need upgrading if you're upgrading to K04's. That list includes downpipes (and full exhaust), clutch, and possibly new headers. Parts alone for those bits is $4500, in addition to the cost of the turbo upgrade ($3-4K on it's own). When you're done with that, you still need to upgrade the MAF, injectors, ECU programming, and various other odds and ends to really take advantage of the K04's.

My point is with a GTI, upgrading a blown turbo to a K04 is a simple proposition. With the S4, there are more considerations.
Old 07-31-2003, 08:54 AM

Default I'm happy as a clam w/ my 2001.5 S4. The only necessary upgrade is:

a short shifter (I got the toy guy).

The guys on this forum do some pretty nifty mods such as chips, downpipes, K04's, etc - but it's a pretty sweet car stock.

I've had no probs whatsoever.
Old 07-31-2003, 08:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I knew there was a SLIGHT difference (sarcasm)

I know how much these things can cost, ive seen many friends go into debt buying body kits and stage 3 upgrades. If i were to go to a stage 3 1.8t (k04 is pointless in that car since its already a k03 sport) the turbo kit alone costs 4500, plus the ecu, exhaust, downpipe, etc. On my car now i have down an ECU upgraded, DP, samco, exhaust, diverter, n75, etc. I just gotta get out of the 2 door. i was mostly kidding with the turbo upgrade but you never know

Quick Reply: Buying a used s4. need some honest opinions from actual owners