S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Cam Tensioner adjustment/Timing

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Tensioner adjustment/Timing

I saw a post and pictures about the cam chains.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...ght=cam&page=4

I am doing a timing belt and valve cover/cam tensioner seals on a 2.7T engine.

When I removed the valve covers I found that the cam tensioner and chain on the passenger side looked very close to what I am seeing in the pictures on AW. The timing marks were really close and it seems like the chain and tensioner are at about the same height as what is shown in the pics.

When I look at the drivers side the tensioner is almost fully retracted and the chain is much lower. The timing marks are close, but the number of chain pins between the timing marks seems to be 15 not 16. It appears that the tensioner needs to be almost fully retracted in order for the timing marks to line up.

It looks to me like the chain may have been installed improperly. The car was running OK. When I extend the tensioner higher the timing marks go off furthur and I cannot raise the tensioner anywhere near the height that I have on the passenger head or what is shown in the AW pictures.

I am a little hesitant to change the drivers side chain length, but it doesn't look right to me based on the photos posted on AW and what I am seeing on the passenger side head.

It would be nice if there would be a tool to set the tensioners at a standard height to do the setup and check the timing since the timing varies depending on the tehsioner height.

Is it possible the car seemed to be running OK with one link too short on the cam chain on the drivers side?