S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Can the S4 be a good (just good) track car (HPDE, no racing) and a decent commuter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can the S4 be a good (just good) track car (HPDE, no racing) and a decent commuter?

OK, so here is my dilemma:

I also own a Boxster S, which stock does great on an Autocross course and track. But due to it being a convertible and also being rather new, read expensive, I do not want to track it. So what would it take to make the S4 handle and eat up the track on par with a stock Boxster S?

So far I am happy with braking (StopTechs) and power of the S4. I am specifically unhappy with:

Massive under steer at low speeds (AutoX)
Non linear power delivery - hard to be smooth (part of this may be the X chip, part may be DV's - getting new Hyperboost ones)
Overall handling - road feel, under steer, heavy and floaty feeling

Bring it on! Is there anything that will fix this as I save money for a real track car?

Tomasz
Old 07-29-2003, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default you are going to have to remove most of the compliance...

to handle the weight.

The person to really ask is Sharon over in the motorsports forum. Sharon and Corey campaigned an S4 in SCCA pro autocross with good success and know everything there is to know about actually competing with one.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:44 AM
TRM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default i agree with Pete...here are some less intense suggestions...

1. get a good set of light rims with track tires. there's no sense having all that big brake stopping power if the tires aren't going to stick in the corners.

2. consider a stiffer coilover suspension. i just run Intrax springs and i'll tell you it is very enjoyable on the track compared to stock. plenty of pics and a good video at my site to attest to the ride quality. but, i'm seriously considering coilovers soon.

3. getting rid of massive understear is 10% car and 90% driver. you are overdriving the car if you are pushing like a pig in the corners. again consider better tires so you can carry more speed through the corners. another possibility is setting up with more negative camber with a set of adjustable links. this won't be good for everyday driving though since you will likely wear out your street tires faster on the inner treads.
Old 07-29-2003, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Simple one step cure for understeer: Get a 22 mm rear sway bar. --->

Don't forget to turn off ESP when on track. Add 4 PSI beyond spec tire pressure.
Old 07-29-2003, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Very well put. If you are running larger tracks, consider larger brake kit. You'll eat thru the

stockers and the replacement parts are more expensive than the Porsche/Stoptech variety