S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

car covers

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2000, 04:05 PM
Mike

Default car covers

Anyone have a recommendation for a fitted car cover for outdoor parking?
Old 01-25-2000, 06:58 AM
mm

Default Car covers not recommended for outdoor use...

Search the archives, but the general consensus regarding car covers is that they are not a good idea for outdoor use/storage, as any dirt, dust, or abrasive materials that come between the cover and the car will cause scratching of the paint when the cover moves against the car's surface as a result of wind or even just when installing and removing the cover.

Covers are best for long term indoor storage to prevent excessive dust accumulation on a car's finish. They are not well suited for outdoor storage due to the scratching problem. Trust me on this one, if you value your car's finish you do not want to use a car cover on your car outdoors.

For outdoor storage, just keep your car clean and keep a good coat of wax on it. Search the archives for more info on waxing, proper car care, and car covers.
Old 01-25-2000, 07:57 AM
Mike

Default thanks (more)

thanks for the input. I had already searched the archives and found quite a bit of material there. Just wanted to see if there was a newer cover specificaly for the S4/A4 (my wife has A4 also). I asked my salesman and his contribution was 'I don't know, call parts'. I will not actually be storing the car outside ...just parking it for a few days at a time. I have a lake house which has no garage or covered parking. I am most concerned about the summer months. The driveway and surounding area are covered by trees which contributes to lots of direct and blowing tree sap, and occasional bird poop, also gets some direct sun part of the day. I normally use the car little once I am there ...so rather than leave it sit in these conditions I thought it better to cover it. Also, it is Black/Black.
Old 01-25-2000, 09:21 AM
mm

Default My advise would be to find somewhere else to park or build a carport.

I really think the cover is just a bad idea. It's just scratches waiting to happen, even if it's just covered for a couple of days at a time. Scratches don't need an extended period of time to form, it only takes one piece of grit between the cover and the car, and it only takes a second to happen. Everytime that those pieces of grit move over your car's surface, there's a new scratch. Find another way. My $0.02.