S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Changing a tire on an incline not so easy!

Old 04-28-2002, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing a tire on an incline not so easy!

So Im driving along minding my business when a dumptruck hops out of the woods to my right where they are building a new subdivision. He is fully loaded so this causes the curb to bust and send a chuck of concrete into my rear passenger tire. If I could have caught him, Im sure I would be in one of Texas finer correctional facilities at the moment. As luck would have it however, the stock P6000 blew and I had to pull over. Have you ever opened the tool box that holds the jack? How happy I was to find a pair of gloves in there. The jack however was a piece of crap! Its a one foot screw jack. It only has one foot plate that touches the ground. This makes the whole tire changing process that much more thrilling as it is now toying with your life. Adding to this thrill for me was the fact that I am on a slight incline, so as the car moves up the crap-jack leans on its one footy. Every car that goes by forces a gust of wind that might just blow the whole thing over on top of me. I loosen the lug bolts and then decide to get the spare out so as to have it ready to slip on. I was careful to lean it against the back bumper so that it wouldnt roll away, MISTAKE. I went back to try and remove the wheel. It doesnt budge. I am scratching my head for a few minutes when I realize that its just stuck. Some oxidizing(rust) has occured between the inner wheel and the hub. It wasnt moving. Stuck on the side of the road you do the best you can. I decided that it was worth the risk the lower the jack a little, there by placing some of the weight of the car on the wheel. This works and the wheel pops off, but it also causes the spare, which had never been on the ground to fall over face down on the concrete. This of course scratches the rim and ruins the wheel. I am nearly to tears at this point, I finsh the tire changing and proceed to my nearest tire shop, only to find that they dont carry the P6000 or anything close. This was Discount Tire, neither does NTB or any place else for that matter. I can order one and wait 2-4 weeks, but who wants to drive without a spare for that long? This sux! I know Im an idiot, but that frickin jack sux. Anyone found a better solution. I plan to be better prepared next time. Greatful for the cheap pair of gloves, but really could have used a decent jack.
Old 04-28-2002, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default couldn't you have just rolled to a flat spot?

Also, put a wire brush in that toolbox along with a tube of antisieze. At least you had a full size spare.