S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Clutch drama (continued...)

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 05:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch drama (continued...)

Hi, remember me? Vibrating clutch dude? Yeah; well I'm back.

I took my 2001 S4 into the dealership on Tuesday for the vibrating clutch issue, and they told me, "it's normal". I asked them, "If it's so 'normal', why did it just start happening on Sunday?" Reply? "Nothing to worry about; just normal wear and tear."

The VERY NEXT DAY, here I am taking advantage of cheaper gas prices, when I start the car in the gas station (in 1st) and it tries to jump forward, which it can't cuz I had my foot on the brake. It promptly stalled. I pulled it out of gear and tried again, but when I pushed the clutch pedal in, I could no longer put it into any gear. Crud.

Mean street machine turned expensive metal rock on rims, I pushed it out of the gas station (don't get me going about the annoyed gas patrons -- but two guys did help me push.) into a nearby parking lot. $160 later I had it towed to the dealership (during that, guess what? one of my front rims was suffered minor scratches). I left a note for them to call me early morning, but of course they didn't. I had to call THEM, and they told me they'd get to it when they can, as "people have appointments".

So here I am, waiting for them to diagnose my car... As for the clutch itself, I'm annoyed; but not nearly as annoyed as I am with the dealership.

--this just in; dealership called. I'm looking at $1750 in repairs, and a new clutch. (Ouch.)

ALSO I am supposed to drive to the 'States this weekend (I'm in Canada) and I was supposed to leave tomorrow at noon, which is when they expect to have my car complete.

I suppose I better hop on the bus and make my way to work.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do NOT pay the f-in dealer for that !! i'd call aoa and tell them how good their **** (service) is

and take the car to a private good shop !
and put in an rs4 clutch
Old 08-31-2006, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Sorry to hear about that. Are you going to go with an upgraded clutch or OEM?

How many miles on the car? Stage?
Old 08-31-2006, 07:16 AM

Default OEM I guess... They're working on it right now.

Good news is that the flywheel is fine, which I was told "is an expensive part".
Old 08-31-2006, 07:19 AM

Default Seriously?

...seriously an upgraded clutch? What diff will I notice? How much extra would the part be? If it's worth it, maybe I can call them and get them to put in the diff part.

As for AOA; I'm in Canada. Maybe I should call Audi Canada... but first I want to chew out the dealership in person. My wife doesn't even want to wait, she wants to call them and yell at them now. :P
Old 08-31-2006, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default yes, if i'm not mistaken, flywheel$ > clutch$, at least for the part itself...

i'd still call Audi of Canada if i were you, try to see if they can get you reimbursed for the repairs or at least something...
Old 08-31-2006, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default same $.. maybe just tinny bit more .. depends where you buy the parts

i bet a dealer will charge you for stock clutch more or the same than what you could get an rs4 kit for.
stock clutch sucks ..esp when you go up in power, rs4 = stock feel , better grab/hold ( OEM euro RS4 part)
Old 08-31-2006, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default 1) Find an independent

2) Go with an RS4 clutch & pressure plate

It sounds like your pressure plate broke (not too uncommon), so that needs to be replaced. While you're in there, you may as well replace the friction disc and throwout bearing at the same time.

The RS4 parts cost approximately the same as stock, and the dealer will not order them for you. A reputable independent should be able to do this for you for ~8-900$US including parts and labor.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:11 AM

Default well I just called them about the RS4 clutch...

and they told me I would get no warranty with it. So... I guess forget it. Also, they've actually started the work already.

My S4 is 100% stock; no mods (well besides a PhatBox, if that counts). I was *thinking* of going Stage 2 with it, but not anymore; I simply cannot afford it. So for now (and likely ever), no need to worry about increased horsepower putting undue load on my clutch.

As for taking it to another shop; yes I believe that to be sound advice indeed. Problem is I have no idea where to take it (I live in Toronto). I was going to post on this forum asking where to take it, but alas, I had to take it in before I even had time to ask!

Also, taking it BACK to the dealer that fumbled the first job of fixing the clutch means that I get to show them they messed up, and hopefully have a better bargaining position when it comes to price. --As indeed I should. They messed up big time and it has cost me (I have receipts to prove it).
Old 08-31-2006, 08:55 AM

Default Re: Clutch drama (continued...)

So I talked to the service mgr. He agreed to cover the towing fee (after much discussion).

He did have a valid point; they did check the car on Tues and it was "working", and they aren't in the habit of fixing working cars... However, I did bring it to them because I thought there was a clutch problem, which there was, so... I have a valid point too.

Maybe I should call Audi Canada and explain the whole thing to them anyway. What can it hurt, right?

Quick Reply: Clutch drama (continued...)