S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Clutch Pedal Not Rebounding.......

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 11:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Pedal Not Rebounding.......

I've been having issues lately with my clutch pedal not fully rebounding or not rebounding at all (a few times I've actually felt the damn pedal suck itself down the the floor). I think (and hoped) it's something as simple as the clutch needing to be bled and not the slave having gone bad, because one job is significantly cheaper than the other. The reason I think it could be the clutch needing to be bled is because the problem usually works it self through and it's easily feasable that there could be air in the system from when I did my brakes last spring that I didn't get out when I bled the brakes.

I also had my clutch/flywheel done last spring just prior to doing the brakes (the original slave was in good working order with no leaks or anything so the shop just reused the old one). I also noticed that I experience the problem when the weather is very cold. It seems like it's noticabley worse the colder the weather is, and the 2 times the the pedal sucked itself to the floor and wouldn't even partially rebound occured when it's been very cold and/or snowing. We've had like 4+ feet of snow in the last week and the problem happened again (the brake light started flashing as well when it started to act up this time too), I added a little brake fluid and pumped both the brake & clutch pedals to see if that would help, but it did nothing but make the brake light go off and stop beeping. I can't get the damn car in gear to move it because the pedal is stuck on the floor. Also worth mentioning, I think the brake pedal also feels a little squishier than it should.

Anyone have any ideas or opinions of what the cause is or how to get the f(_)cker to rebound enough so that I can get the car into gear and move it? I want to believe it's not the slave having gone bad, but I just have this sinking feeling that's what it is........ Thoughts anyone?
Old 02-11-2010, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Change you sig pic - its a little tacky.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:42 PM
Former Vendor

You'll need to check both the clutch slave and master cylinders.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shawnoc2003
Change you sig pic - its a little tacky.
2nd. "Tacky" is an understatement.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:12 PM
B56
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had that happen too. Turned out to be my clutch master.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'll have the clutch master checked. I think part of my problem might be the fluid I used (synthetic) when I did the breaks. I read on a few posts that synthetic brake fluid tends to take longer to warm up. I've noticed that the issue starts to dicipate as the car warms up and the trans and brakes have been used.

All that said, if the temperature outside is well below the freezing point like it tends to get and currently has been as of late in the Philly area, I think it would be safe to make the assumption that synthetic brake fluid doesn't flow through the lines as well as it needs to in really cold climates. I mean that sounds logical doesn't it?

Oh well, I'm going to just completely flush out the brakes/clutch and refill everything with either AP Racing 551 or ATE Super Blue brake fluid. Thanks for any of the USEFUL feedback, seeing as I asked for feedback about a clutch issue and not my signature pic (which I'm very aware is tackier than hell, which really is why I find it humorous...... kinda like how REALLY BAD pick-up lines some guys use to pull *** in bars are funny).......

Originally Posted by B56
I had that happen too. Turned out to be my clutch master.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

2nd the slave/master.

Have you tried to pull the peddle up? I recently had trouble bleeding my slave and the peddle would stick to the floor board and I would have to pull it up, but then it would pump just fine.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

fwiw, mine was the slave