S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Clutch replacement woes (long)

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch replacement woes (long)

I start my car on Tuesday and get a loud squeal for about 5 seconds, sounds like a loose belt...freekin stealership just replaced the belt and tensioner last week (last thing done before CPO expired) so I call them up to "respectfully request" that it be fixed, and I start to drive to work...oh wait, the car won't go into gear when running...lovely. I hang up and call AAA for a tow. I have the car taken to a local shop that quoted me a good price on a clutch replacement a while ago (clutch started slipping occasionally a few months back). I have an RS4 clutch in hand (as well as some piggies!) so I'm not too worried. I know labor is sorta expensive but I have been preparing for this repair. A day later, the local shop calls me and says "we've decided not to take this job". I'm like "WTF? How can you quote me a price and not do the job?" He says he hasn't done a clutch on an Audi and doesn't want to mess up my car. However, he knows another local place the specialized in Audi/VW so he will call them and get me a quote. A few hours later, he calls back and says that they have also decided to pass on a clutch replacement and recommends that I take it to the dealer. How the heck can an Audi/VW specialty shop (as advertised in the yellow pages) decline the job? I call them to find out. They say that it is a tough job and requires some specialty tools that they don't have. Specialty shop indeed... Correct me if I'm wrong, but this doesn't require any specialty tools, right? I call around and find a place that agrees that they will do it called VanCleef Racing (after a few more people decline the job) and I have to tow the car there. They also may not install my RS4 clutch. They said that they typically won't install parts customers bring in because they want to guarantee their parts and labor. Fantastic. I call AAA again...they won't cover the tow this time since it is the same breakdown. I arrange a tow on my own and I'm already out $50 before any work has been done. Nice...

Is it really that difficult to do a clutch on an S4? VanCleef said they might consider using my parts but will not guarantee them, only the labor. If I must go with something they order, I may be selling my RS4 clutch.

Should I have them replace the slave cylinder while they are in there (I'm at 85k)? The are already going to do the rear main seal, the pilot bearing, and turn the flywheel if necessary. Is there anything else I should do? Thanks in advance for the tips.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default RS4 clutch is a straight replacement.

If the shop has never done a clutch on an Audi, this is not the shop for you anyway. Aside from re-setting the SACM, the RS4 clutch goes in like oem. Some shops don't want to install customer parts because they lose the $ on teh parts but others will do it with the understanding that they are not warrantying the parts.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default nothing difficult about it at all.

I'm not a trained mechanic, but I did it without any problems. Pull transmission, remove PP, disk an FW. Replace using alignment tool. And replace the TOB too. It's not rocket science.

Hardest part is reinserting the slave cylinder. Get that wrong, and you'll be pulling it all out again.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: RS4 clutch is a straight replacement.

What is the SACM?
Old 04-08-2007, 02:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Self-Adjusting Clutch Mechanism