S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Coil over & shock talk. How many people have this set up? Other recommendations & places 2 purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2002, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coil over & shock talk. How many people have this set up? Other recommendations & places 2 purchase?

For those of you that have this set up would you recommend it? Any other recommendations? What were the installation costs?
<a href="http://www.hoppenmotorsport.com/s4susp.htm">MTM/Eibach Springs and Koni Sport Shocks</a>
Old 03-30-2002, 03:05 PM

Default I have the MTM full suspension

There is only one place in the bayarea to buy MTM products that I know. This is <a href="http://www.griffinmotorwerke.com"> Griffin </a> in Berkeley. The prices are the same as if you order from MTM US distributor <a href="http://www.hoppenmotorsport.com"> Joe Hoppen </a> plus tax.

I had Griffin install the MTM suspension. They were just OK. There was a problem with a knock in the front after the install and they would not fix it. They looked at it and said it was normal. After 2 visits, Terry, the owner, just stonewalled me. I took my car to Conversion Techniques in Oakland. They found the spring not sitting right and the alignment was off. They fixed it all in 2 hours. Conversion Techniques is owned by John Siau. They do wheels, tires, alignments, big brake kits, Recaro seats, race prep, and a whole bunch of other things.

I would buy the suspension from Hoppen and have Conversion Techniques install it if I had to do it again.

I think the ride is just right for the street.
Old 03-30-2002, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Cool... thanks for the reply. Just right for the street...

in the sense of normal driving? Have you tracked the car? If so how did you feel the car held up with the new suspension?
Old 03-30-2002, 10:36 PM

Default Re: Cool... thanks for the reply. Just right for the street...

I drive pretty aggressive on street on/off ramps, back road, and such. I just have the stock rear sway bar and the car is close to neutral on the understeer side. I can put the car into a side drift with late braking and slight throttle after the apex point. My previous car was a 87 930. This suspension is alittle less stiff than the stock suspension on the 930. The main reason I chose the MTM over the H&R that a friend had on his car was the linear springs. I'm not a fan of the progressive spring linear. I don't have as much prediction of suspension state in a turn with the spring rate varying.

I've driven other cars on the track (ex-SCCAer, Show Stock 300zx non-turbo) and I feel comfortable taking the S4 with the MTM suspension to the track. If I was going to track regularly I would probably choose the Stasis Engineering setup.
Old 03-31-2002, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 46 Posts
Default My user review of the MTM Full -------->

The following "review" was written shortly after installation (which I had done prior to taking delivery of my car). With over 20k miles on the clock with this setup, and in *all* types of conditions (full payload, 4 adult passengers, long 2k+ mile road trips, winter weather, heavy rain, etc. etc. etc.) I still think it's a fantastic fixed-height solution. My only gripe has always been the need for abou another 1/4" of ride height in the rear ... otherwise I highly recommend it.

<a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/test/752.phtml" target="_new">MTM Full User Review</a>