S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Coolant Leak = Pulling My Hair Out

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Leak = Pulling My Hair Out

So I have had a slow coolant leak on my car now for a good 3 months. The system leaks a liter a week and two attempts at the Audi dealer have failed to solve the problem. On the first try the dealer replaced a cap, this failed to solve the problem but did slow down the leak rate. On the second look they pressure tested the car and found that the leak was very very slow. The car lost 2 psi over the course of a morning on the pressure test rig. Any other ideas as to why I have a slow leak that is hard to find? It just really sucks that every two weeks or so I have to mix and add coolant. I did ask if it might be one of the two pumps located in the coolant system and the dealer said those pumps were in good shape and were not the problem. It is very problematic to continually take my car in for service. The car has been in for service now 4 times in 6 months which in my book is way too often.

On another note I am getting an intermittent yellow oil warning light. The one that has the old style oil can with the words MIN next to it. The dealer said I don't have a leak and the sludge might be confusing the sensor. They suggessted that I get my oil system flushed as there is sludge in the system. Any ideas where to get a flush from in the Boulder area? Anyone have experience with this type of service?
Old 09-16-2003, 02:01 PM

Default If you actually have sludge in your S4, get it out ASAP!

Or kiss the turbos goodbye!

Don't understand how you got it in the first place, though with your mysterious coolant leak, be SURE it's not leaking into the oil!
Old 09-16-2003, 02:20 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I'm thinking the same...

If he drains the oil himself and actually looks at it, he can inspect for coolant contamination. If there is any, inform the dealer.
Old 09-16-2003, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Mine leaked like that for a while....

and the dealer couldn't find where it was leaking. I found a large puddle of coolant on the carpet on the passenger side one day, whereupon they replaced the heater core. Problem solved.
Old 09-16-2003, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default could be the after-run coolant pump leaking. It's under the intake manifold area.

it can slowly leak and not be very easy to see.

have them check that.

after run pump keeps coolant circulating after you shut off the hot engine.
Old 09-16-2003, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy Moly!!! Jim, How ya doing?!?
Old 09-16-2003, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'll bet you it's the water pump. I've seen it a dozen times!

It only keaks when it is spinning and under load. The coolant evaporates before it hits the ground.
Old 09-16-2003, 04:33 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Question...if you put a dye in the coolant tank...

and it's evaporating up and out of the system...wouldn't the dye leave some residual signs in the engine bay to help determine exactly where the leak is originating?
Old 09-16-2003, 04:43 PM

Excellent idea, just need some riboflavin from work and a blacklight
Old 09-16-2003, 04:49 PM

Default Well it might be leaking oil or at least cooking it (more)

The dealer popped the hood and unscrewed the oil cap. There is a black goop, think bong resin, on the inner cap, there is visible sludge in the engine on some surfaces. Suggestion was to take the car to the subuaru dealer and have an oil system flush. This was a service they could not provide. I think it is time for this and then start over with Mobil synthetic. BTW what grade for winter with the Mobil???

The dealer was thinking that the sludge was interferring with the oil quality sensor therefore giving the intermittent Oil Can symbol with the MIN text.

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak = Pulling My Hair Out