S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Damn dealer. (long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2002, 04:05 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts
Default Damn dealer. (long)

So I go to the dealer because my coolant was a little low and the plastic tip on my oil disptick was cracked. They tell me that I'm overdue for my 20k mile maintenance. I say "I only have 16k miles." Service rep says "It's 20k or 6 months since last service." So I'm guessing they are equating 6 months of driving to 10k miles since the last service was at 10k. Anyway I had just done an in between oil change at 15k (with AMSOIL 0w-30) so I said they could do the 20k service just don't change the oil because it would be a waste. (I said this twice by the way.) Well two hours later they finish and I ask the service manager what was done. They said the standard 20k mile service (pointing to the Audi sheet) and they flushed the brake fluid. So I asked if they changed the oil and he said yes. Unbelievable after explicitly telling him not to change it. So I asked if they used synthetic 0w-30 as the manual recommends. He says "no regular Quaker State 5w-30." I said "no good, even when I let you change my oil I bring my own, because I KNOW you don't use synthetic." Service rep then says he can get synthetic 5w-30 and put that in instead. I say ok and they do it in like 20 minutes. The service rep apologizes for not remembering that I said not to change the oil. (Next time I will make sure it is written on the sheet they give the tech.)

Anyway, the service rep tells me the unfinished quart is in the trunk so I can top it off later. I get home and check the level waiting a few minutes as per the manuals instructions, and it is overfull. I mean way passed the orange tip and onto the metal stem. What a bunch of crap. They must have not accounted for the oil in the filter, or didn't let it all drain out. It seemed like it would be too much of a pain to try to drain some of the oil myself in order to get the right level. Luckily I have spare filters at home, so I changed the oil myself and of course the level is perfect now.

(Tip: Pour the 7 quarts in quickly (don't let them drain into the engine in a funnel). The amount that sticks to the sides of the containers will be the .1 quart(3.2oz) leaving you with 6.9qts in the engine.)

Anyway sorry for the loing rant, just seems pathetic when dealerships can't seem to get things as simple as an oil change right.
Old 03-27-2002, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That's nothing......

I got a friend who got a '91 80Q for free, because the lady took it to Jiffy lube for an oil change. They drained the tranny, & put 5 quarts of oil in the engine. She drove it for god knows how long, started making "noise", & she brought it in......