S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

DANGER: dont even THINK of driving the stock tires on packed snow/ice

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2000, 02:47 PM
Slip Slidin Away...

Default DANGER: dont even THINK of driving the stock tires on packed snow/ice

the theme song was "slip slidin' away.." the last 2 days. that was 15mps in 2nd gear- the lightest touch on the brakes or slightest turn of the wheel sent the car a slidin'.
We the stupid apologize to those who have been ranting to buy snow tires months ago.
I dont know of tire ratings, but to call these "All season" is ridiculous. Shouldnt the dealers know that you really NEED tires other than the ultra-high performance stock tires in the snow?

dont complain of cost. i sold my other car for $12,000, saved up $10000 cash, put $500 on credit card, and got a 5-year loan for $18000- and i'm a physician. i didnt pay cash for my S4 either, but just put out $1200 for 4 Spa wheels and 4 Blizzak MZ1s (late sliders cant be choosy).
i also would be severly inconvenienced if my car wrecked and was in the body show for 3 months.

my 2 cents, but please dont show up in my OR as a trauma because you wrecked in the snow on these stock tires!
Old 01-21-2000, 02:51 PM
Typos!

Default Re: DANGER: dont even THINK of driving the stock tires on packed snow/ice

thats 15 mph ... 15 mps is rather fast- even for a chipped car!
and "body shop"- not "body show"

darn typos!
Old 01-21-2000, 03:28 PM
Ben Broder

They don't call them "all seasons", they are not M+S rated
Old 01-21-2000, 03:41 PM
boston S4

Default Re: I second that!!! I slid into a truck last week!!!!

I second that!!! I was driving on a snowy road and slowed down to a 10-12mph coast. As I approached the car ahead of me and realized I had to come to a complete stop I applied my brakes and slid right into it. Fortunately, I did no damage to the truck b/c of the high bumper, but unfortunately, the grille/nose and top bumper was smashed. I had to replace the radiator, a/c condensor, hood, and can't even find a replacement for the black fan in the front. (Fortunately it still worked.) Anyhow, bottom line, costed me over $2100 and I still have to get the snows which I was waivering about. Please take me seriously. The stock tires do not stop on any sort of snow. I have never felt so helpless in stopping especially, when application of the brake leads to unintended acceleration. I spoke to tirerack today and I think I will order the ATP SPA's w/ the Bridgestone MZ 01's as well. Good luck to all and please learn from my unfortunate experience.
Old 01-21-2000, 03:50 PM
mm

I'm trying not to say I told you so. Really I am!
Old 01-21-2000, 03:50 PM
frozen s4

Default new tires will not help

The fact is you will never stop a heavy vehicle (except maybe a bulldozer) even at 5 mph on a surface that has a coefficient of friction of close to zero. The momentum will just carry you forward. The whole point of ABS is that is allows you to steer under heavy braking. Next time, try steering around the obstacle - you will be amazed at the amount of control you have. At worst, you can point the car towards something less solid.
Old 01-21-2000, 03:55 PM
DJL

Default Re: DANGER: dont even THINK of driving the stock tires on packed snow/ice

Agreed. Car will slide when braking on even a dusting. Doesn't take much more to slide in mild turn. Have much experience in performance vehicles (traded M3 for S4) but think there should be clear warning and dealer should state that winter tires are must if even the remote possibilty of snow.

(Yes, I had snow tires for M3, but also was able to sneak through (i'm not condoning) a few unexpected light snow days on Mich MXX3s (235/40 17s) with far less trauma)
Old 01-21-2000, 03:59 PM
DJL

Default Re: new tires will not help

Agree in theory, but light snow or light packed is not zero coefficent. These are far worse then anything ever experienced and dedicated winter tire will make a significant difference. (possibly one that could have prevented his accident)
Old 01-21-2000, 05:19 PM
tuan

I feel for you. Almost the same thing happened to me. I wish I bought winter tires.
Old 01-21-2000, 05:58 PM
Michael

Default A Real World Comparison

Drove home in ~2" of snow with the stock tires. The first 30 miles of interstate was bearable, no problem I thought. The following 10 miles of two lane hills, dips, turns, and two really nasty off camber bends was a nightmare. I have never struggled so hard to keep a car out of trouble. That includes driving a 280Z stuffed with a small block Chevy on bald rear tires (lighting up the rears was cool in high school) in 6" of icy snow when I was 18!

As I pulled in my garage I was motivated (very!) to install my recently delivered 16" MM Spiders and Dunlop Winter Sports. My next drive was through similar back roads in ~5-6" of snow. NO PROBLEM! I was amazed by the control. Stupidity can still get you in trouble, but if you are paying attention the car is remarkably stable.

I second guessed myself for shelling out the bucks for winter tires. I would have rather purchased better 17" or 18" wheels with more of a true performance tire. I may still do that, but I definitely made the right first choice.

There may be better drivers than me out there who get around in snow with the stock tires, but for the majority of drivers the investment in snows is well worth it.

Quick Reply: DANGER: dont even THINK of driving the stock tires on packed snow/ice