S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

dealer damaged wheels, q about refinish

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2001, 04:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dealer damaged wheels, q about refinish

I took my stock wheels in to the dealer to mount snow tires on.

They damaged two of the wheels. It looks like they dropped them face first on the concrete. Each of the spokes has the same type of impression.

The dealer owned up to the damage. However, they mentioned refinishing the wheels as an option.

So how would they go about that (refinishing)? Use "bondo" to fill in the marks, or grind the surface smooth then refinsh?

I told them I wanted new wheels. I'm at my wits end with this dealership (I could go on for hours). I said this would be a small price to pay to keep a customer.
Old 12-04-2001, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bulll****, make them buy you new ones. ESPECIALLY if there are dents in them.

It might have compromised the structural integrity of the whole wheel. Of course that depends on the depth of the dent. If the service manager doesn't want to do it. Talk to the Sales Manager and tell them you'll never buy another car from them. If he doesn't give a ****, get the owner of the dealership on the phone. Next step would be to call AoA. Good luck man,

-st
Old 12-04-2001, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default They can be repainted...

a good wheel repair shop can do a nice job if all that happened was a face plant. Just make sure they match the color up right. I had a wheel refinished when a tire shop did the same thing -- they did a super job on the painting, but the color is ever so slightly off. Unless you put it side by side with an original wheel you don't really notice it though.
Old 12-04-2001, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default if they're minor surface blemishes refinishing is fine....

I've had a stock wheel refinished and I can't find where the scratches were - looks as good as new. If the damage is cosmetic like you've described, refinishing is no big deal IMHO.... just make them guarantee your satisfaction with the repair.