S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Dealer Fault or Not???

Old 04-15-2005, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Fault or Not???

I had a cam seal replacement done on the engine, which was covered under the warranty...

Now, about 50 miles after getting the car back, I lost all power steering, etc, almost ran off the exit ramp on the highway and it turns out the serpentine belt had slipped off its gears completely.

The dealer is now saying the belt fell off due to wear and tear and that I'm gonna have to pay to get this replaced incl. the labor...They are telling me the belt is worn, but obviously this is because the belt slowly fell off due to the spinning of its parts...

I find it hard to believe that this serpentine belt falls off when the car only has 53000 miles after all the work the dealer just did near that part. Am I correct in saying the belt fell off due to the dealers repairs and through no fault of my own? I am not competely famailiar with this cam seal replacement process but it seems to me this is the dealers fault.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:09 AM

Yes, it's (most likey) the dealer's fault. No, they won't cover it.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default it does not wear in 50 miles ... call AoA and tell them

and if it worn out why they didn't change it? they were right there.
don't let them get by with this crap.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

big 2nd. call AoA. fight the power!
Old 04-15-2005, 12:37 PM

Default Calling A of A right now...

It is unfortunate these guys are telling me its "wear and tear" because the ribs are worn out. Come on, this is ridiculous. And of course the extended warranty that they set me up with won't cover it!!! Its too bad the one cool service guy left or doesn't work that much anymore, becuase the rest of them are crooks!!!
Old 04-15-2005, 01:35 PM

Default Followup....

Well, I vented to the Audi Customer Service about all the issues I've been having lately with this dealer. He opened a file and he says that its good I called b/c they don't get much feedback from customers once they are out of warranty period. Since, he was not a technician, he couldn't answer whether or not the belt slip-up was related to the cam seal work that was done. I have however heard from a number of you and it seems that this belt should not have fallen off less than 50 miles after the work was done. I have left a message with my service advisor as of 4:30 EST (one hour ago) saying that this belt damage was caused by the work they did when they did the cam seal work. I have not heard a response or return phone call yet.

In addition, it should be known that the last 2 times I brought this car in for service, they A- scratched my RS4 custom fit bumper on the front left side (they did admit to this and said they will repair it)
B- scratched my bumper by putting 2 scratches on the bumper (they claim they didnt do this and are not fixing it even though I am 100% positive they did this, I know every scratch on my car)

So, i'm still waiting for a call back but I suggest calling AofA to let them know the situations with these shady dealers.