S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Does anyone have a write up to install a turbo timer on the S4?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2001, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone have a write up to install a turbo timer on the S4?

I am looking at getting a Blitz DTT DC, and wondering how much of a hassle the install would be. I mainly want it for the bost controller/peak hold feature. Has anyone done this? Below is the link for the boost controller. BTW the boost controller displays in green, but can be modified to display in red.<ul><li><a href="http://www.blitz-na.com/NA_ProductsDTTDC.html">Blitz Turbo timer</a></li></ul>
Old 11-01-2001, 08:31 AM

Default It's my understanding the S4 does not need one since it has an after run pump

to cool your turbos down the 1.8T car lacks this feature.
Old 11-01-2001, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Here, but . . .

have you seen the actual Blitz Dual TT unit? You should really look at it beofre you buy it because the remote display is VERY VERY SMALL!!! IMO, the remote display is almost useless if you're trying to use it for the boost gauge function because it's THAT SMALL. I passed on this unit for this reason alone. FWIW.

There have also been some recent concerns with the wiring schematic. Ask "Kent L" for details.<ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec31.shtml">https://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec31.shtml</a</li></ul>
Old 11-01-2001, 08:56 AM

Default Re: It's my understanding the S4 does not need one since it has an after run pump

Please elaborate on this. I've never heard anything about this before.....if its true I can put more $'s into wheels/tires. How long does the "after run pump" run? Does it "turn on" each time the car is shut down or does it only come on after "spirited driving"?
Old 11-01-2001, 09:04 AM

Default I can't remeber all the details but there was a big debate on AW awhile ago about

it and I think the jist of it was that the S4 has an after run pump to cool the turbos when you shut your car off and the 1.8T car lacked this pump so it was a good idea to have a timer. Search the archives the tread should be there.
Old 11-01-2001, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I actually have heard the same thing from John Stahmann..

the other day here in town. He pretty much said that it wasn't necessary because of the pump that runs the fluid through the car after its off!(i have no idea what fluid but trust he knows). I wish i had more info for you but thats it.
Old 11-01-2001, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's not an oil pump. It's a coolant pump.

A turbo timer can't hurt. But I personally don't like the idea of the car running without me there.

I'll just drive calmly and/or wait.... although this is _REALLY_ hard when you really really really really have to go pee.
Old 11-01-2001, 09:11 AM

Default Yeah I think that was part of the old debate as well was it coolant or oil to the turbos

well it really doesn't matter I mean a Greddy TT is around 80 bucks not much for added security.
Old 11-01-2001, 09:17 AM

Default IIRC, it is coolant only... the afterun pump doesn't always come on...

Mine as only turned on twice. I think it is better to still drive out of boost for the last couple miles of your trip and then wait a minute or two before you shut down.
Old 11-01-2001, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That actually applies to the old style A4 and does not have any info to hook up the boost gauge

Is it really that small? I thought about putting it on wood trim on the left of the stereo console. would it be hard to see?

Quick Reply: Does anyone have a write up to install a turbo timer on the S4?