S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

DVWP vs Carbon Fiber

Old 06-16-2010, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DVWP vs Carbon Fiber

Anybody know more about the Vorsteiner dry fiber woven plastic body parts? Vorsteiner makes lots of stuff for BMW Merc and Porsche, not so much for audi but they do have a nifty hood I'm looking at.

Thing is, I am going to paint it and don't really care if it super super light. The DVWP material is much cheaper than CF but I can't really find much info on it. Ideally I would like to know if their claims about being stronger than wetlay CF are true.

Thought I'd throw this out there and see if anyone here had some knowledge or experience with DVWP or Vorsteiner.

http://www.ecodetuning.com/shop/cart..._detail&p=1100
Old 06-16-2010, 11:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default i'm no expert buuut...

"Thing is, I am going to paint it and don't really care if it super super light. The DVWP material is much cheaper than CF but I can't really find much info on it. Ideally I would like to know if their claims about being stronger than wetlay CF are true."

I just read the add and they aren't comparing it to wetlay cf. they're comparing it to wetlay fiberglass. and this makes sense to me because fiberglass is pretty brittle. so I'd say it's to compared to fiberglass, but it can't be stronger than cf because the price reflects the material used.

I would say it looks like a fine hood that will be an upgrade from stock but I would contact them and ask if the top layer is still cf because I don't know if I would trust an all plastic hood. just my two cents but I hope I helped. i'm looking for a new hood too so good luck!
Old 06-17-2010, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Doh! I meant to say fiberglass - thanks for the correction.

You can get this hood in several versions btw, 2 sided CF and one-sided CF as well as the DVWP material. They insist the DVWP is good stuff and I hate to pay more for the onesided CF hood just to paint over it. Ah well, I'm going to have to mull it over some more.

Thanks for your input and good luck with your own search for a new hood.