S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Engine bay sound diagnose! Potential problem? or nothing to worry about? Need replies.

Old 09-21-2001, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine bay sound diagnose! Potential problem? or nothing to worry about? Need replies.

I took my car to ogner motorcars this morning. After I started up my motor with the hood open, it took Klaus (service advisor) 5 sec to diagnose the problem. He says "Sounds to me like your water pump bearings are making some noise." So I comment, "You guys have had this problem before?" He says, "Not often, but I have heard it before." I asked him if this is a problem that I should be concerned about, he replied ,"Naw."

What I would like is a 2nd opinion from you techies in audiworld. I have made an appointment with ogner on October 3rd, to have the problem fixed. Is there any consequences of me driving around with this problem?

Any reply and input will be greatly appreciated, thanx!
Old 09-21-2001, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Suggest you get this "problem" written up by your dealer so that you have a "paper" trail if

this becomes a real problem even after the warranty is up.

HTH
Old 09-21-2001, 05:48 PM
dpd

Default Re: Engine bay sound diagnose! Potential problem? or nothing to worry about? Need replies.

already did a waterpump on a 2.7 with 1200 miles[bearing gernaded].if it blows while the motor is running and the bearing gernades and throws the belt,internal engine damage will be the result.don't drive it if it's the pump squaking.
Old 09-21-2001, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Potential BIG problem...

as noted by dpd below, the water pump drive system is connected to the timing belt, and if the bearings fail you run the risk of the timing belt slipping off and your valves smacking the pistons. Major engine repairs follow.

My water pump started making noises at 25K miles. I took it to the dealer, and he told me NOT to drive it until they could repair it. They had to order the part, and this happened with a 3 day weekend in the middle, so they ended up paying for a rental car for me for about 6 days. Still, that's cheaper than AOA paying for a new top end for the engine. "Klaus" sounds like a nincompoop. If his "5 sec diagnosis" is correct, get this fixed ASAP.
Old 09-21-2001, 07:53 PM

Default Yea, but the car only has 22 miles on it.

How abnormal is it to have the water pump malfunction with this little mileage on the car? Could it be something else? I sure hope so, Im taking the car to another dealership (Rusnak @ westlake village) on monday afternoon. The car will be in the shop til the noise is repaired. They are very generous, they will provide me with a free rental

Can someone describe to me what a bad water pump will sound like?
Old 09-21-2001, 08:06 PM

Default Eeeewww, Rusnak!

There are some folks who have had Major Problems with Rusnak service. I'm not you, but I'd take it elsewhere. Try using Search for "Rusnak" in the past postings on this forum.

Hope this helps-
-df
Old 09-21-2001, 08:15 PM
dpd

Default Re: Yea, but the car only has 22 miles on it.

depending on how bad it is,it can be anything from a squeak nose to a growl.if it's the pump the noise will be coming from the middle of the motor,down towards the bottom coming from behind thetiming belt covers
Old 09-21-2001, 08:16 PM

Default Re: Eeeewww, Rusnak!

Well, according to Knaus, my water pump is just noisy, its not causing any problems. He is going to replace it with a quieter one

The problem is it is going to take a few weeks for me to fit into their schedule, Oct 3rd. I did a search on audiworld, and most people have experienced noisy water pump, but found it to be normal, and to live with it.

I agree with rusnak, I've heard bad stories, anyways, I've had good service with ogner (even thought I dont drive a ferrari) they still treat me "OK."

Anyways, he insured me the water pump sounds OK, just a little noisy. So Im going to wait til Oct 3rd, and get "quality service," I hope
Old 09-22-2001, 07:21 AM

John is absolutely correct. Do not drive the car. You can incur big damage.