S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Ever see this Code: "18265 Load Signal. Error Message from engine control"?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever see this Code: "18265 Load Signal. Error Message from engine control"?

My now dead MAF caused my car to hiccup under exceleration. I got this Code under Transmission (as well as MAF CEL).

Car drives fine (MAF off) but when shifting (I'm TIP remember) from PARK to DRIVE with foot on brake the car lurches slightly- definitely not as smooth as before.

Ever seen this before?
Old 03-11-2006, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes! Tip gets "load signal" from the MAF.

It apparently senses how much air flow and equates that to some form of load signal.

It will kinda jerk into drive and not shift quite right.(downshifts etc) Go WOT and you will notice that it does not shift down quite as fast etc.

The code will go away with a new MAF.

I have noticed slighly different transmission behavior with different MAFs. (RS4 housing, stock housing, RS4 MAF & Housing)

Trying to learn more about it.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

so what's the update? turbo or something else?
Old 03-11-2006, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

No news. I still think it's a blown K04. Waiting to hear from some people
Old 03-11-2006, 11:06 PM

Default Thanks (phew). What MAF should I get IYO?

Or do they all suk ;-) ?
Old 03-12-2006, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default They all kinda suck at this point. So I'm not really sure what to tell you.

This may be part of the issue or perceived problems with the TIP.

I don't know exactly what it wants from the load signal.

Could too much airflow mean that the TIP changes something electronicly and the tip lets up? OR is it the other way around? Does it sense not enough load (due to larger MAF housing and smaller element)?

I just have not figured out exactly how this is effecting the transmission. Not sure if it "really" matters. Does it just create quirks? Or are we losing some level of performance there?

My car started to have quirks with the TIP as soon as I put the fueling in my car (MAF/injectors/ADJ FPR). This is the point where people say the TIP fails. My quirks were instant. Not after a bunch of WOT runs. I drove my car around "commuting" for many days before ever dropping the hammer full stage 3. Shift points were weird, clunked etc. I have run the car WOT many times since with no "problems" on the trans. Feels solid as can be.

I switched my MAF setup around and even went back to stock. With the total stock maf the trans is instantly smoother and shifts better.

Not sure what to think of it yet. Might just be a quirk that needs to be lived with. Maybe there is a way to trick or tune the MAF load signal?
Old 03-12-2006, 09:10 AM

Default Thanks. Guess I wil stick with stock.BTW- what is that screw called that hold the MAF in the intake-

its not TORX is it? My Torx drivers have solid centers if you know what I mean and those screws seem to require hollow points- never seen that before.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

iirc it's called anti-tampering tool, i bought a set on ace-hardware
Old 03-12-2006, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Some are different. My tamper resistant torx fits 1 MAF I have but not the others.

The others are "torx-like" but not really torx. If you just wedge a small flat head screwdriver in them you can turn them just the same.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:43 AM

small slothead? anti-tamper indeed! Thanks.

Quick Reply: Ever see this Code: "18265 Load Signal. Error Message from engine control"?