S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Extremely bad news about my S4.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-1999, 10:19 AM
del

Default Extremely bad news about my S4.

I get that call you dread, the official, "There is a problem call."

Seems that there are some small creases on the roof of my yet to be purchased S4. My experience with creases is that you can't remove them without repainting.

So apparently I am screwed. So any suggestions? IF they can get the creases out, should everything be OK?

If they can't get the creases out then now what? I sold my old car, I am driving a rental, I have nothing else to drive.

Ugh. This has been a really bad week already.
Old 09-22-1999, 10:25 AM
NickS

Default Oh man, that sucks!

I guess it would depend on what they define as "SMALL" and what has to be done about it. If it's a good paint shop there should be no problem. However, If it requires metal work I would have to pass. I know it would be difficult but I wouldn't want to have that be a constant problem with the car. You may end up going back and forth numerous times until it's right. You have a tough choice to make....
Old 09-22-1999, 10:29 AM
Scot Kight

Default Re: Oh man, that sucks!

Is it just me or is that the kinda think most companies would replace without a problem? Talk to audi, and see if they will ship you a replacement hood. The only problem would be color matching. What color is your car? If its yellow, I wouldnt take it. If its black, that shouldnt be a problem.

definitely dont take it without an answer though. Thats a nono.

You want the car PERFECT when you get it. Every bolt, every nut, every peice of sheetmetal. If it isnt, they need to make it perfect, and repainting something isnt perfect. Not IMO.

But a new hood.. that would be acceptable.
Old 09-22-1999, 10:32 AM
Scott W

TAKE THE CAR! They can replace the hood & you'll never know, buy you've waited long enough!
Old 09-22-1999, 10:37 AM
CraigL

Default Argh, that blows.. (more inside)

Talk to your salesman about the issue -- if they're serious about keeping your business, they'll offer a loaner or something. If they aren't cooperative, I'd give Audi a call and see what they say.

I'm really sorry to hear about your misfortune

-Craig
'00 S4
Old 09-22-1999, 10:37 AM
read again!

It's the roof, not the hood....BIG DIFFERENCE.
Old 09-22-1999, 10:43 AM
WarrenT

Default Re: Extremely bad news about my S4.

Absolutely no way should you take the car, at least not at full price. The minute a car has paint work, it is worth significantly less than when it is untouched from the factory, even when the repair is done properly.

I made this same mistake when I took delivery of an S6 by a dealer who flat-bedded the car to my house. They brought it off the truck and cracked the front air dam. The new part, of course, required painting and it was never quite right. They'll never match it exactly and because it won't have been baked on at a high temperature like it is in a factory paint booth, it will be susceptible to chipping, especially if it's not a metallic paint.

I wouldn't do it. Be rational, not emotional. I was in the same boat -- I had waited months for car and really wanted it. I never stopped regretting my decision to take it.

But, if you've got to have it, ask for a big discount off the price. If they won't give it, pass, and demand the next car. It's the dealer's problem how to handle that with the next customer, not your's.
Old 09-22-1999, 10:43 AM
del

Default It's the Roof not the hood. The Hood I wouldn't care about (more)

With the roof you figure that they need to remove the headliner, there is the moonroof to consider. I don't want to have to spend my car ownership years worried about the headliner not being reinstalled properly, or being damaged when it is removed, or the roof not being perfect.

Everytime you wax your nice $40,000 car, you don't want to have to be going DOH! There is that G%# D#$ area where the dent was fixed.
Old 09-22-1999, 11:02 AM
Bruce K

Default Sounds like a Quality Control problem... at Audi....

Perhaps the dealer can let you drive one of their loaners or a demo while your is under repair, or being reordered.
Old 09-22-1999, 11:04 AM
Scot Kight

Ick, ick ick. Call audi. They might be able to track down one

Quick Reply: Extremely bad news about my S4.