S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Finally got to drive an S4 (first impressions & reasons I'm not coming back to this board...)(Novel)

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-1999, 02:51 PM
Scott W

Default Finally got to drive an S4 (first impressions & reasons I'm not coming back to this board...)(Novel)

for a while at least!

Let me start by stating that I've had an S4 on order since November 8/1998. I've studied the brochures from Germany (Thanks Mattias) and U.K. (Thanks Guy) and the Canadian brochure too! I've collected every article from every magazine, newspaper & website. I've dedicated all of my time to daydreaming about this car & I've driven all who know me to insanity with my incessant "boasting" and yammering about how this will be the greatest vehicle ever to grace my garage. I know more about this car than anybody would care to admit (with the graceful exception of all of my S4 bretheren on this fantastic forum) and have geeked all of this information into my small, one track (it's quattro at least) mind.

My business is suffering, my marriage is suffering, my friends, family, sanity etc. I think we're all suffering these symptoms. The problem isn't any of the above however, the problem is that waiting for this car has summoned in me an emotion which I'm not equipped to deal with...ENVY! There are alot of S4's arriving and none of them are mine. Patience is not my strong point & now I'm slipping into a severe bout of "S4 Envy". There are no known clinical recordings of this horrific disease, but I assure you my friends I've been stricken. I found myself, initially just drifting in & out of conversations with visions of a streaking comet (Nogaro blue of course!) but soon I found that I became dependant both on this board & more than frequent phone calls to my dealership to keep these visions at bay. It worked at first, but then other symptoms started to surface, speech impediments (first & last spoken words of each day were S4 related) & worst of all, I'd talk about the S4 to absolutely anybody who'd listen. My 98 2.8q (short-term lease until my S4 arrives) is a mere "token-gesture" to shut me up until my S4 arrives. A once strong & succesful man turned into a quivering little bitch and for what? Waiting for a car? It's completely insane. Then it happened. Just when I thought I had my emotions & symptoms in check on Saturday, September 18th, I'm at the dealership serving up my weekly "Is it going to be here soon? WTF?!?!?! D-status? Still?" routine, I see a car roll of the trailer & low & behold, it is an S4 live & directly in front of me! This was the first time I was able to see it's low key yet aggressive stance, touch it, hear it purr. My god man, feel that alcantara, it's like peach fuzz and the leather is like silk (nappa no less!). I got to see the massive rotors & calipers for myself. Steve & Corey described them, but to see them in the flesh, my my my.... I couldn't drive it because it was a customer's vehicle, it hasn't been PDI'd, it's the only one we're getting, WHATEVER! These excuses were mere lipservice to me, I could touch it, I could sit in it & most importantly I could sense that mine would be here soon!

Alas, my fatal error was going to the dealership on Saturday (25th), I pulled some strings & after some promises and negotiating, I had the keys in my hand & was going for my first test drive! None of the salespeople had driven the car & the owner of the dealership handed me the keys personally! I sat down, adjusted the mirrors as though I'm going on a cross country drive & I turn that key....purrrrrrrrr! There was almost no audible sign that this was a different car then my 2.8! Blip that throttle though & in comes the unmistakeable whirr of the turbo chargers...*grin*, no, sorry strike that *huge f*ckin' grin*! Eleven months of waiting justified with the blip of a throttle? I'm a sick man & I realize that I need help. That's half the battle right? Pull out of the dealership & doesn't it figure that every bloody street is congested with lesser men in lesser vehicles, two right turns later & I've gotten the space I need (I refuse to discuss the length of the silky smooth shift throws because to me, it's not the length of the throws that is important, it's the width of the gate! ;-)

First gear kind of goes like this; "here we go, turbos should kick in right about...WOW!!! OOOOOH! rev limiter hits OW!" second; "that torque is crazy, here we go again, same torque, massive speed, no more space damn traffic!" you get the idea, I didn't ever get out of forth but, I most certainly knew that I have made the correct decision in ordering & waiting for this car for so long! It's been two days now & like a great man once said, I'm "going to need a plastic surgeon to wipe the f*ckin' smile off my f*ckin face".

The real problem is that I don't think that my car will be here before November & y'all are torturing me with the fact that I can't share in the excitement that alot more of you are experiencing now. I smacked up my 2.8 & am forced to drive a rental neon until it's fixed! It will only be two more days, but I feel like a guy who is living a lie. I can't stomach driving this P.O.S.. I need my S4 now! It's no longer a desire, it's much more than that, it's a medical emergency! I fear that if I see someone driving a Nogaro blue w/onyx & alcantara that I'll do something rash...I don't know, carjacking, ride for a blow-job or worse!

I'm leaving the office now to check myself into the local mental hospital until I feel I can re-integrate myself into society & become a positive influence into the lives of those around me! (Ideally by taking them for rides in my S4) Luckily I'm only 29 & hopefully I've caught this early on in its development!

Farewell my brothers! *sniff* I fear the next time I contribute to this board it'll be a picture of myself standing beside my newly acquired but longly desired S4!
Old 09-27-1999, 03:04 PM
donp -- impatient and lusting...

Odd behavior? You sound normal to me.
Old 09-27-1999, 03:12 PM
Ruben

Default You make it sound as though this was a bad thing...I made the mistake of test driving an M3...

then a Viper (just for kicks). Boy did I have second thoughts!
Old 09-27-1999, 03:29 PM
Virgin

Hmm. And who's S4 was that you were driving to red-line? I hope it wasn't a fresh delivery.
Old 09-27-1999, 03:32 PM
Joseph Conrad

Classic post!
Old 09-27-1999, 03:38 PM
jee

Default Suffering here as well...

Seeking late April delivery which just about equates to 200+ days of S4uffering. Muuusssttt trrryyy to keeeeppp goinnnggggg...
Old 09-27-1999, 03:59 PM
MikeP

Default Hallelujah... I'm not alone...

Hi, my name is mike and I'm...

I don't go more than 10 minutes w/o thinking about this damn car.

MikeP
99 1.8T QSTip Bose/Wett for sale!!!
'00 S4 in Dec
Old 09-27-1999, 05:18 PM
Scot McKay

You mean...you got to...SEE...one...and DRIVE one?
Old 09-27-1999, 06:30 PM
Justin

Scott did you drive the Santorin Blue S4 at PFAFF?
Old 09-27-1999, 06:48 PM
Another Drew

Do you think we could get a discount on group therapy?

Quick Reply: Finally got to drive an S4 (first impressions & reasons I'm not coming back to this board...)(Novel)