S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Find the "Muted Barking Seal" seal sound...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Find the "Muted Barking Seal" seal sound...

I STFA in hopes of finding someone else with this sound and the closest description I found to it was someone who mentioned a "barking seal" sound. Let me explain...

In 1st gear, usually from a stop and usually after I've been in stop-and-go traffic a bit, when I let off the clutch, I get a cyclical "muted barking seal" sound (low moaning, not constant) that increases with speed of the car. It doesn't seem to coincide with RPMs, though, making me think it's some kind of brake/hub type of noise.

It's not metallic or rattle-ish. It doesn't make a difference if I turn the steering wheel back and forth while it's happening (i.e. maybe bearings). It cycles faster and faster until I speed up to around 20-30 mph and then I don't hear it anymore regardless of gear. The next time I start from a stop, it may or may not do it again.

My thoughts -- doesn't seem like bearings because of what I said above about the steering wheel. Doesn't seem like a clutch issue since it happens after the clutch is completely released and I'm on my way. It doesn't happen when braking, so it doesn't seem like it'd be the brakes.

I had an Audi Tech. ride with me the other morning, and of course it didn't make the sound as much, but he did hear something. When I got a call from the Svc. Dept. later, they said that I had a bent stock wheel and they thought that might be causing it. I just had trouble believing that the sound was related to that, given the circumstances of when it occurs.

Anyone have any thoughts on what this might be? TIA...

Jamie
Old 03-08-2005, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well...

First off, I'd take off the wheels and check the dust shields, to make sure they're not rubbing just in-case. Sometimes, depending on how the metal is hitting, they can make some weird noises.

Otherwise, sounds like a bearing to me. Anything else is that could make that noise as you describe is not a normal wearing item :/
Old 03-08-2005, 09:59 AM

Makes sense - even if it's not the bent wheel itself, could be related to the impact that caused it.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:57 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Anything broken and rubbing the axles?

You'd likely hear a clunking too, but check anyway. It's easy enough.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:29 AM

Default Not that I can tell.

I tried to look up under there to see if anything struck me. In addition, the Audi Tech's were supposedly looking for anything that might be making a noise, and nothing stuck out to them either visually.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:47 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Mike might be onto something...

On the back of the backing plate is a sticky compound that prevents the pads from squeaking and rattling. If that compound broke down, and the pad is no longer stuck to the caliper, you might get some rattling or wierd rubbing noises (when you're not using the brakes). I suppose you could buy some anti squeal compound from an auto parts store, and coat the back of the backing plates and see if that cures the noise.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:54 AM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it make the noise if you apply the brakes?
Old 03-08-2005, 12:17 PM

No, it does not.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:22 PM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Could be a rotor rubbing on your caliper or pads. Are any of those aftermarket?

Heat gets in them and they expand slightly, but different materials may expand at different rates. Also, if you hit a wheel, alignment of things down there may be a little out of kilter, allowing rubbing once each wheel rotation at slower speeds when there is less centrifugal force acting on the rotor to keep it straight and aligned.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:44 PM

Default All stock -- good points, though!

Maybe there's some kind of award for the correct diagnosis. :-)

Quick Reply: Find the "Muted Barking Seal" seal sound...