S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Updated: S4 Recovered in Newark

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Updated: S4 Recovered in Newark

Yea wat a surprise that it ended up in newark. It apparently was found on Feb 27, after being stolen on the 22. I had to be informed by Geico, one would hope the PIGS would be nice enough to call me.

They told me it has been towed to Denty Bro's in newark. Any have any advise on how it goes here? I've never recovered a car before..
Old 03-03-2004, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Any idea on the condition it's in?
Old 03-03-2004, 08:33 AM

Default Re: Any idea on the condition it's in?

The bodyshop ppl couldn't say much, just that it is stripped. I don't believe it has been sitting there since Feb 27th and the pigs haven't even called to tell me.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default If I was a police officer...

i probably would not call you either.

A little respect goes a long way....
Old 03-03-2004, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sounds ugly. That's where mine was recoverd. The police station in Newark is SCARY.

That's where you'll have to go to process the paperwork to retake possession of your car. Plan to spend several hours there. The towing yard won't release your car till you have the documents from the police. It sucks, bigtime.

Keep us posted, and hang in there.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:40 AM

Default but geico just said..

that they will send a adjustor out within 5 days. Do I really have to get out there or can they just handle it?

Your advice is greatly appreciated..
Old 03-03-2004, 08:45 AM

2nd
Old 03-03-2004, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hmmmm...good question then, I don't know for sure. (more)

I guess go with what the insurance company is telling you. When the police called to tell me my car had been recovered and towed to the yard they said they had no other information and that I had to go to the station in Newark to get the release forms. I did that, then went to the towing yard to view the car and instruct them to tow it to my bodyshop. The insurance adjuster didn't see the car till it was at the bodyshop.

My suggestion would be to call the towing yard and ask what the options and procedures are. If the car is a total loss, then I guess you don't need to retake possession of the car and could avoid the nightmare that is the Newark police station. The problem would be that if the insurance company estimates that the car is repairable then you're going to have to pay the towing yard to take it to a bodyshop and I don't think they'll do that without authorization from the police. Again, my suggestion would be to call the towing yard and if you don't get clarification from them, call the insurance company back just to make sure you understand what's happening.

Good luck.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Tow your car to Brooklyn and let GEICO pick up the tab

Then you know ROJO will do the right thing for you. If it needs to be totalled (too much damage/parts missing) then it will be done so, otherwise, you will be in the right place to fix it the right way...
Old 03-03-2004, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default take audinuttt's advice.

tell geico you're having the car towed to Rojo (a geico pro shop)
their number is listed in the yellow pages under "Rojo Collision" - and obviously they're in Brooklyn

and that you want the adjuster to see the car there (so the adjuster doesn't write a low ball estimate, which would screw you on the quality of work that can be done)

let Rojo write up an initial estimate to show Geico's adjuster... or you'll get low balled and it's gonna suck for you.

Quick Reply: Updated: S4 Recovered in Newark