S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Folks, know your road before driving like a nut...guy almost ruined his shiny Frontier...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2002, 11:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Folks, know your road before driving like a nut...guy almost ruined his shiny Frontier...

So I'm leaving a concert. It's late, about 3am. I head onto one of my favorite stretches of road. For those Atlanta folks, it's the access road off of W. Peachtree that goes up to I-85 North. It starts with a slight 90 degree left turn and then goes to a big downhill, right decreasing radius turn, two lanes, one way, concrete barriers on each side. It's basically a bobsled chute. Well, traffic opens up and I gun it as I hit the left turn. I'm up to about 60 in the left lane. I've taken this right turn up ahead about 1000 times. I usually stay in the left lane and maybe edge into the right lane a bit during the turn if there's NO traffic. I wouldn't go over about 65-70, maybe a touch more in the S4. Well, this Nissan Frontier behind took the bait. He saw me gun it and decides to keep up. He gets right on my *** and abruptly changes into the right lane. At this point I let off knowing what's about to happen. He guns it past me on the right going about 80; not smart. Here comes the big right turn. I'm thinking, this is gonna leave a mark. Oh ****! Sure enough....the back end of the Frontier gets fishy. He's on and off the brakes. He has to bleed into the left lane and is quickly approaching the concrete barrier. He just makes the turn by bleeding into the 4 foot shoulder missing the barrier by about 6 inches. Debris is going everywhere. He slows up with I'm sure an overly accelerated heartbeat. So I casually finish the turn at about 60 and then gun it, and pass him getting up to about 120. This road is the best for that. One of the few deserted little known dragways. I come up on some traffic and slow it up to about 75. He comes up on my left grinning real big. I'm sure he'll have to change his underwear when he gets home. He is SOOOOOO lucky. I wasn't in the mood to stop for this fool and call the po po.

As I said, folks if you're gonna speed, know your roads. Don't hit 80 in a turn you don't even know is there or have never taken. That's just dumb, and definately don't do it in a high-ridin' pickup truck.
Old 04-28-2002, 12:33 AM

Default idiot, for sure....i had a similar experience before i got my S4

just about 2 mths ago, i had a 993 and some wife-beater car felt he had to prove something and yielded into my 2-lane road. yeah, he had some power, tried to speed up (i wasn't AT ALL racing) and fish-tailed all over the damn road, and pushed an SUV into the median...almost made the family SUV roll. this guy (SUV) was ampin mad! he tried to get him to pull over but he (wife-beater) took a sharp right and was gone. i watched all this happen in my rear-view. i would've called the five-O, but it was over.

just thought i'd share a similar "dumb-*** on the road" story.
Old 04-28-2002, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Dylan, glad to hear you (and he I suppose) came out unscathed...

Boy I'd be pissed if this guy lost control in front of me and either tossed debris onto my S or somehow managed to hit me!

Yes, that corner and stretch of access road can be really fun when there's little traffic. It's great going the other direction too. The same hard right-hander can be taken a little faster in the other direction.

I once had a similar situation exiting off of I-285 westbound onto Peachtree Industrial Blvd. It was at night and I was in front. I exit at about 80 MPH and just coast down the hill never using the brakes. If you know the corner, you can take it really fast if you use the correct line. I take the corner at about 65 and imagine myself back in the serenity of the North GA mountain twisties and glance in my rearview and see that this econobox that was right behind me tried to do the exact same thing. After the apex he ran off the road on the left onto the shoulder and into the grass (IIRC) and then makes it back onto the road. At first I felt responsible, but then I realized it isn't my job to make sure others know their limits and can control their vehicles.

Speed SAFELY everyone.
Old 04-28-2002, 07:06 AM

Default New body style impala leaving death valley last summer..

I had a hot sticky set of AVS Sports on, they were tossing rocks and such.

I was going west on California 190 and I had less than a half tank of gas and 97 miles to go, so I was driving gently to conserve gas. I had just finished going up the 4000' climb out of the valley, and was almost at the twisties when a red new style Impala came up behind me really fast.

It was a no passing zone, so he was tailing me at 65, I had the cruise set (stupid) and he was dropping back on the first few curves, then he was a bit more confident and sticking at 65, he dropped back a bit on a sharp left, then there was a sharp right. This section of the road was off camber, and downright slippery compared to the rest, and my back end slid out about a foot and the car went into a four wheel drift, I hit the gas and counter steered, then let off the gas and made the next turn.
This was the first time I had squealed the tires on the trip and it wasn't on purpose, it was a little unnerving.

I looked in the rear view to see how far back I had dropped the Impala, and I didn't see him, I waited a bit, still no Impala, there was no real place for him to turn off or pull over on this stretch, then the road straightend out for a little over 8 miles through a gentle valley but I never saw him again. He had DRL's and he was red, but I didn't see him or any other cars come out from the twisties, and we had just passed some sort of compact car so there should have been something.

I have a theory what happened, but I really hope he didn't lose it in the rocks trying to tail me
Old 04-28-2002, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Going southbound there is just as fun, but the risk is greater on the outside barrier

because the other side of that barrier is a HUGE drop onto either I-75 or I-85, it's right at the split. That is my favorite stetch of road, easy to work if you pay attention.

I was travelling south one morning to work, and all the cars in front of me merged onto I-85, leaving a barren stretch of controlled access road. I wasn't going to hit it until I saw a silver 330 gunning it up behind me. I was going about 65 and waited for him to get close enough to where he would need to change lanes to go around me, then I downshifted and he never saw my front end. The roads were a little damp from morning dew, so I slowed down to 50-60 before the big left turn, he was way behind me. He didn't slow and came into the turn really hot, so I decided to take advantage of quattro and hit it through the turn on the inside lane. The traffic at the W. Peachtree light caused me to let off the throttle too soon and my back end got a little loose. What was funny was both times he was trying his hardest to overtake me and I just gave it some throttle and left him behind.

That's about the only time I've been overly agressive on that turn, you gotta respect that curve, cause it will kick your butt.